War Diaries Talk

I noticed this message from Gevoque in a comment box on the following page link. Moderators I replied

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Re the diary of Divisional Troops 210 Field Coy Royal Engineers. “How do you know which year when you enter a diary page please?”

I see you are referring to page link https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003zpx

As this is only page 15, and the diary runs from 1st March 1916 to 31st March 1919, I would imagine therefore the date of the diary page would be 15th July to 31st July 1916.

Perhaps the Moderators can check the diary for you.

By the way 5 people generally tag these diaries so if the year is not on the page, you can only enter the dates and leave out the year.

PS If you have a query about tagging a diary it is better to post the query on the discussion page, under Questions and Answers – Standard Tags and Tagging where it would be more noticeable.

If you are new to the project you will find everyone very helpful.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Some diary pages just don't carry all the information we'd like to see for the date. You're most likely to run into a case where you can't work out the date when you pick up a new diary that is already partially tagged.

You can delete the missing information--most often the year but sometimes also the month--from the date tag before placing the tag on the page. Unfortunately, you'll need to do this for each date on the page as the default setting for the date tag includes month, date, and year.

However, if you are certain of the date, even if it is not written fully on the page, go ahead and put it in. For example, many diaries only state the month on the first page for that month. If you've tagged that page and the next page continues in order, you can also tag those dates with the month and year, even if the date column shows only 8, 9, 10, etc.

Remember, for dates and anything else, four other people are backing you up, so a mistake or a missed tag won't cause any problems for the project.

Posted