War Diaries Talk

FAQ - How to use your profiles in Op War Diary

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Using your Profiles on Op War Diary

The way the Zooniverse interface works means you have two different profiles on Op War Diary, one via the Classify page and one via the Talk page. Each is accessed by clicking on the "Profile" link at the top of the respective page. Let's look at what you can do with each of them.

The Classify Profile

When you click on this it pulls up a page that shows what you have been doing in relation to the diaries themselves.

This includes how many tags of various different types you have placed and the details of which diaries you have tagged, giving the number of pages that you tagged in each.

Scroll down a little further and "Recent Pages" shows the last ten pages you tagged. If you click on one, it will open in a new webpage, showing any comments that have been made, any discussions that have been started from that page, any hashtags added and any collections that the page has been pulled into.

From this webpage which is unique to that specific diary page there are a number of things you can do

• You can "collect" the page by clicking on the "collect" button in the top left corner of the page image. This opens a pop-up which asks you to either define a new collection or save it into one you already have. You have a collection called "favourites" by default and this lets you save a page to look at later (see Talk Profile below for more detail on collections).

• You can start a Talk forum post referring to the page by simply clicking on the "create a new post" button for the relevant forum area and your talk forum thread (once posted) will then show a copy of the page alongside. This is very useful if you want to ask a specific question about the page as it means others can see the image too.

• You can direct others to the page, for example in a talk forum thread, by copying the unique link which relates to that page from the browser bar at the top and then pasting it into the forum thread.

The Talk Profile

When you click on this you will find a completely different set of items

In the left hand sidebar you'll find any Personal messages (PMs) that you have sent and received, arranged in descending date order. To respond to a PM, click on its title in the side bar and it will open in a new page, giving you an automatic reply box. To send a new PM click on "compose message".

At the top of the page are your recently commented on diary pages. This is any page that you have added a comment or hashtag to in the "comments" box while classifying the page. Normally only the first half dozen or so are visible, but there's a "load more" button at the bottom right of this section and you can scroll through indefinitely. Clicking on any one of these pages brings up the individual webpage for that diary page much as described above in the Classify Profile for recent pages and gives you all the same options about collecting, starting a forum discussion or copying and pasting the link for the page.

Scrolling on down you will find a list of recent forum discussions you have participated in, any comments you have made on collections and finally the pages you have recently collected. Each of these collected pages can be opened in the same way as already described and all the same options for each are them available.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Thanks, Heather! This is a fantastic guide to have.

Posted

• calvados by calvados

Hello

I'm working on:

4 DIVISION: 4 Mobile Veterinary Section (1 Aug 1914 - 31 Mar 1919)

The pages and years are so out of order I'm not sure if I'm duplicating pages I've already completed. Is there any way I can see what I've done in this diary - apart from the last 10 pages in my Profile?
    Thanks,

Posted

Hi @calvados, sorry for the delayed response.

Unfortunately, there isn't really a way to page back through a diary beyond what's currently available on your profile. Not ideal, I know. However, the system is very unlikely to give you a page you've already tagged (there are some edge cases here, as I understand it, such as when a diary is almost complete and a couple of pages need another set of tags so the full diary can be processed - in that case, a tagger might be able to contribute two sets to the page, but it's a very rare occurrence). So if you are getting the same page again, or feel like you might be, then it's probably an issue with the scanning duplication. In this case, the best thing to do is to hashtag the page as a #duplicate.

If the diary pages are badly out of order, the best thing to do is to note it in this thread here: http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000g/discussions/DWD0000u7n

That way, we can collect batches of bad diary scans and notify the National Archives, so they can take whatever action is necessary.

Thanks!

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Profile Page Query
    On checking my profile page - at the bottom there is a Favourite there. I don't know how this has appeared. I don't really want it, as it is only a cover sheet marked Appendix B. How can I delete it please?

Posted

Hi Marie,

Just click on the image in your profile. You'll be taken to the collections page. At the top, by your name, you'll see an edit link. Click this and it will allow you to delete the page from your favourites (you need to click the little cross in the top right corner of the small page image). Once you've done that, click on 'Save Changes' and the favourites should be cleared.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense!

Rob

Posted

Profile Page Query. Yes that all did make sense. Deleted Okl. Thanks once again for your quick reply.

Posted

• Kat_Bau by Kat_Bau

Is there a way so view all the pages I have tagged? I'm looking for a map that no longer comes up in my recent pages and it seems like I can't access it anymore 😦 any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

Kat

Posted

If you have tagged a page and made a comment on it, for example #map you should be able to find this page again.

Go to - Currently On Line page. Go into your name. This will bring up ALL the pages you have commented on. Then look for the page you want (if you have commented on it).

This tip was posted in Mess Hall Board/Useful Tips. Posted in the How to edit/change comments made previously.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to Kat_Bau's comment.

Marie is right in her explanation of how to find a page you have commented on. I will add only that if the page you're looking for doesn't appear on your page immediately, you can click on the little gray circle with a + in it, where it says Load More, to bring up more pages.

Alternatively, if the page you're looking for is fairly recent, you can also click on that same symbol at the end of the pages posted on the main Talk page to bring up more pages. This isn't as efficient, though, as you have to scroll through all the pages where anyone else has posted a comment.

Posted