War Diaries Talk

Regarding the last page of the 1 Btn Royal Dublin Fusiliers – (1 Oct 1917-30 April 1918)

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Regarding the last page of the 1 Btn Royal Dublin Fusiliers – (1 Oct 1917-30 April 1918), the last page 107 is a #misfiled cover page for the 8th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers – Dec 1915 to Oct 1917. Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003du8

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I'm trying to do this diary, too. Did you make notes of what is on pages 60 and 61, between the end of February and the typewritten page from the 2nd R. Dublin Fusiliers? The diary jumped over those two pages when I got to them.

I'm wondering if anybody else tagged that typewritten page as a diary. I didn't notice it is headed from the 2nd battalion instead of the 1st, so I tagged it as a diary page. It should probably be a report or even "Other."

Posted

Cynthia, Pages 60 - 63 of 1 Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Page 60 - Cover page for February #outoforder
    Page 61 - Cover page for March-April 1918. #outoforder
    Page 62 - #misfiled belongs to the 2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003dt8n (did not tag)
    Page 63 – Appendices to War Dairy Tagged as a Report #nominal roll etc.

Posted

Thanks, Marie!

I also didn't see page 63. Was it a casualty list? You mention a nominal roll.

I'm also thinking that perhaps page 62, from the 2nd R.D.F. might have been included deliberately because it does pertain in part to a portion of the 1st R.D.F. But it probably should have been at the end of the April diary, not before it.

Posted

Cynthia, Cannot find a page link to this page 63. Too far back in my profile. Some of these appendices to war diaries named Officers joining, being posted and also included casualties OR's and Officers, generally OR's not named. Therefore, when I tagged this I may just have tagged it #nominalroll, #a monthly #casualty list (stating the month) and adding that any names mentioned were all tagged. So the names entered could be found. One of the tags being #nominalroll because it listed men for various reasons. So by these tags the names should be picked up. So all bases were covered.

Posted

Thank you, Marie!

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to cyngast's comment.

I have been tagging the appendices containing dates of officers joining, drafts and casualties as a diary page. I thought this was reasonable since in most other diaries this information is generally included in diary pages. I hope having two diary entries with the same date will be OK.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to deehar's comment.

That definitely makes sense to me, given the information included on the pages, and there's no problem with having two entries for the same date.

Posted

I've always tagged those types of pages as Reports. I can still use the Person tag to capture the names that way. Will the data be acceptable if people use two--or more--types of page to tag it? I mean if deehar tags a page as Diary and I tag the same page as Report, does the data still all go into the same pile?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Well...it would definitely be better if we all classified them as the same page type. And generally speaking, Report would most likely be more appropriate. But I think in this instance, where deehar mentions casualties and drafts and so on, as well as mentions of individual officers, it does sound more akin to a diary page.

Posted

• deehar by deehar

It is a diary page but only covering personnel changes. It is easier to classify it as a report but then you lose all the date information. I must admit I have not consistently classified these appendices as diary pages in the past! I will go back to classifying them as reports. ( I am actually now working on the 2nd Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers where the same problem arises).

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to deehar's comment.

If it's structured as a diary, then I'd definitely stick to classifying it as a diary page, rather than as a report. It's a bit of a grey area this, but that's the rule of thumb I use.

Posted