War Diaries Talk

Place box problem

• bje by bje

I'm no longer getting a map in the place box, just a blue screen, so I'm having to leave it as 'none of these/not sure'. Doesn't seem to make any difference if I leave it a while to see if something loads. Any suggestions?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I had a small problem with the google map box and so did a few others. I posted this in the Technical Support Box so the Moderators could be aware of it. It has been fine since last month when reported it. You can see the messages about this if you go to: Questions and Answers Board - Technical Support. 'Small problem with Google Box for Tagging Names". Maybe this will help.

Posted

• bje by bje

Thanks for the suggestion. I've read through it, unfortunately can't find anything to help.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to bje's comment.

The only thing I can suggest is that you try refreshing the page and then try logging right out of the site and back in again. In the early days we used to find this often "unstuck" a blue screen or blank page type problem. If this doesn't work can you confirm what type of device you are using and what browser version please?

Posted

• bje by bje in response to HeatherC's comment.

Tried refreshing, logging out etc. I'm using a MacBook, Safari v 5.0.6. This is out of date I know but it was working OK

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Apparently there were a few other issues over the weekend - users suddenly being logged out and then not being able to log back in again. It could be that this is related. Are you still experiencing the issues now? If so, we'll get Zooniverse on the case and see what they can recommend.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

We did have issues with the API over the weekend, but I'm not sure if that would affect the map.

This has been a general issue... and I can't even be sure that it's on Zooniverse's end and not Google's. Any luck now? Any luck with any other browsers?

Posted

• bje by bje in response to DZM's comment.

I've got maps back today, I haven't done anything different they just re-appeared. But with a bit of a blip as I'm now finding that they don't retain the last place I typed in, but keep defaulting to the same place (Meaulte), which is a bit annoying when the unit is at the same place for several days. I'm also finding the same thing with the unit activity box and the other unit box, so maybe this is a separate problem

Posted

Sounds like it might be. Something happened on the google end a couple of weeks ago, although I'm not entirely sure what. But certainly a lot of websites using google maps were experiencing issues. It could be that the map issue is just some residual fallout from that. If they're back now, that's a good sign.

I'm not sure about the tag fields getting reset. Perhaps Darren could raise this with the devs and see what they say.

Posted

I have had the same problem for quite awhile with tag fields, with google maps showing in the place box the same name all the time and finding the same with the activity and unit box. I am using Windows 7 and Google Chrome.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey @ral104 - I'm definitely up for putting this through to the devs, but I need to be fully sure that I understand exactly what is happening.

Is this still the issue with tags being removed when one exits the interface without hitting "Finish"? Who is having it? Just one person?

Is this the same issue that @marie.eklid@virginmedia.com just reported, too, or is that related to the Google Maps thing?

Any chance someone could write a very clear summary of the exact problem that I could give to the devs?

Thank you!!

Posted

I started to tag a page and then by mistake lost it. This happened because I was in the middle of tagging a place in the google place box. I had typed a place in but went to put in a correct spelling then I lost the page, I went back into the diary and the page I lost flashed past but it did have the tags on it. Then all of a sudden it disappeared and the diary page came up again without the tags I had entered. So I just tagged the page again. I had not pressed the finished button! I am on Windows 7 Chrome.

The other problem was that when putting in the place name in the google place box, a place name which I had placed quite a long time ago, always appears in this google map box. This also applies to the other activy boxes which I mentioned before. When I try to delete them it does not work, they still appear. Does that help you?

Posted

• bje by bje

This problem with the boxes is also what I'm finding. Up till the last couple of days whatever I had just typed in, or highlighted, was what came up next time I used the same tag box. So where there were similar activities, places, units etc on a page it was easy to tag them all in one go. Now every time I try to tag something the details in the box have reverted to something that was probably entered pages ago. So far I've found this with both diary and orders pages (haven't done any other page types recently).

The result is it's taking twice as long to tag a page.

Posted

Thanks everybody.

Darren, it seems there are two discrete issues:

1. Reported by Marie. Tags applied to a diary page are lost if the browser focus changes before the user has clicked 'Finish', i.e. if the user signs out of their zooniverse account, or navigates away from the diary page, or even closes the browser. Previously, tags that had been placed were saved when they returned to that page. So far, only Marie has reported this. She is using Chrome on Windows 7.

2. Affecting multiple users. Input fields for 'Location', 'Unit Activity' and 'Other Unit' tags should default to the last value entered when a new tag is placed. However, they now default to values entered many tags previously, which makes the tagging process less efficient as users are required to change details which would otherwise be common to tags on the same page.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to ral104's comment.

Thank you. @ral104 , that is much clearer. I will see what I can do for you. Thanks!!

Posted

Great, thanks!

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin in response to ral104's comment.

Hi Rob,

Those tags are defaulting to the last value entered when I've tried a few test tags on pages. Does clearing the browser cache fix the problem at all? I'm not sure how to reproduce this bug.

Jim

Posted

• bje by bje in response to eatyourgreens's comment.

I've tried emptying the cache, I've tried deleting any cookies that look as though they may be connected to OWD or Zooniverse, I've even tried signing up as a new user. None of these have made any difference.

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34 in response to ral104's comment.

I had to delete Google chrome and sheen to get a better running Zooniverse. No problems since using Mozilla Firefox but not having Sheen is sad as it worked well.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to 141Dial34's comment.

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues... but did you need to delete Chrome? Couldn't you just add Firefox? You could still use Chrome for other stuff...

I would like to figure this out if this is still a problem, but it's tough when we can't replicate it.

Is there a chance that this is only a problem in Chrome? @bje are you using Chrome? @eatyourgreens , how about you? Could we test to see if this only happens in Chrome?

Thanks!!

Posted

I'm using Safari. Been using this for the last year with no problems up to now

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to bje's comment.

Same problem in another browser?

Sorry for this, we just have to get all the info that we can before trying to tackle the issue. If the same thing is happening to one person in Chrome, and another in Safari, then we know it's probably not a browser issue. However, @141Dial34 found that it worked fine for him in Firefox, so maybe it is a browser issue.

It's also possible it's an issue with a plugin you're using? We had someone just yesterday discover that their ad blocker was messing with the images, for instance.

Could you perhaps try Firefox and see if your problem persists there? Thanks!! 😃

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin in response to DZM's comment.

Hi Darren,

I've tried tagging some test pages in Safari, Chrome and Firefox on OSX without getting this bug. My zooniverse laptop is out for repair at the moment. Should be back today, and then I can test on Windows 7 and 8.

Jim

Posted

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm also not able to replicate this in either Chrome or Firefox. Will try IE in a bit.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

This is going to be really hard to nail down. I can't seem to find a pattern yet that would be causing this.

@bje, any luck with another browser?

Posted

• bje by bje

Success - Firefox is working OK. Thanks everyone for your efforts

Posted

Good to know! Thanks Jim and Darren for looking into this.

If anybody is still experiencing the issue, do let us know.

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

If you are experiencing this bug, could you try visiting this link and let us know what the debugging information on the page says.
    http://www.operationwardiary.org/#debug

Jim

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to eatyourgreens's comment.

Indeed, @bje, if you could please do that with one of your not-working browsers, it might help us figure out what caused this in the first place?

Thanks!!

Posted

So annoying. http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0001p1j I have just tagged the next page to this one, and tagged an awful lot of information, I only had to put in a few more place names after tagging the whole page. Put the place name in the google box and corrected a letter in a place name, then the page disappeared. DID NOT SIGN OUT. Got it back from the diary page but it came back WITHOUT my tags on. I will have to tag this page again, its getting to the point where I never know now if when tagging in the google place name box, if the page will disappear.

Posted

Experiencing the same but. Gone into the ling and this what it shows. OCAL STORAGE USED

Storage size: 5242765

Storage available: true

Number of stored keys: 3195

read/write test passed.

DEFAULTS

Unit activity: fire

Place: Sapignies-Bapaume Road

Other unit: 95th Infantry Brigade

Posted

correction to above message: Experiencing the same Bug. Gone into the link you provided.

Posted

Copied this from the debug link. The defaults it lists are the ones that I get each time I open a tag box, (I also get others that are not listed here)

LOCAL STORAGE USED

Storage size: 2621281

Storage available: true

Number of stored keys: 2050

read/write test passed.

DEFAULTS

Unit activity: working

Place: La Chaussee

Other unit: 14th R.W.F.

Posted

Problem when entering on the Google Place Box.
    http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0001p1j The next page to this one I lost. It happened because I put a place name in and corrected a letter and then the diary page dissappeard - I had NOT pressed the Finished Button. Went back to my profile to recover the page. The page came back up but my tags were not on it. I had tagged a lot of information on this page and only had a few place names to put it. I will therefore, have to tag this page again. It is so frustrating, every time I put a place name in now, I am wondering if I am going to lose this page again. This has happened before and reported. Question - If I tag a page and lose it, will my tags have been recorded? When the page in question comes back, the comment tags are still in the comment box. I thought when you had tagged a page and lost it, it would come back with the tags on. Using Windows 7 Chrome.

Posted

Thanks for the debug info, everybody, and apologies for the frustration this issue is causing.

Marie, I think that if the page is lost before you click 'Finish', the tags will not have been saved. I would imagine the procedure for submitting comments is not connected to the tag submission. Your tags should be saved in the browser, however, so we need to get to the bottom of this.

Jim, Darren, does the debug data help, or is there any further info we can try and provide?

Thanks all!

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

Thanks everyone for the debug info. This is really helpful. Looks like the browser's local storage has filled up, but no error is being thrown to indicate it's full, so the page carries on trying to happily save tags even though it can't any more.

So I would guess that this bug only affects people who have placed tens of thousands of tags ie.people who have been tagging pages for a long time.

I'm working on a fix here. In the short term, the solution would be to clear all locally cached data for this site. In Chrome, I think clearing the cache will do this. I'm not sure about other browsers. Try clearing the cache, then visit http://www.operationwardiary.org#debug to see if the storage used is reported as 0 (or a very small number).

Jim

Posted

Makes sense. Thanks for that, Jim!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to eatyourgreens's comment.

Thanks, Jim, this is a great update.

Let me know if you need one of our devs to jump in, too.

Really appreciate your giving it your attention!!

Posted

In response to eatyourgreens message: My storage is still a high number. How would I go about clearing the Cache on Chrome? Have I got to do this?

Posted

Clearing the cache doesn't make any difference in Safari. Could try a reset, but I'm reluctant to do this as I'm now managing OK with Firefox

Posted

Marie, to clear the cache in Chrome, go to 'History' and 'Clear browsing data'. There will be a check box for clearing cached files.

The fact that @bje is no longer having the issues having switched browsers seems consistent with what Jim's saying, although I'm afraid I can't shed any light on why clearing the cache wouldn't have solved the issue in Safari.

Posted

Thank you so much for your helpful advice with tag problems etc. I have cleared the cache on Google Chrome, the problem has rectified itself by doing this. Also when a page is lost the tags now come back. Thank you to everybody else who helped with this problem. Much appreciated.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Hurrah! Great job from the technical side of the team on this one. It's obviously because you've done so much tagging Marie! 😉

Posted

Absolutely! Great work from Jim and Darren.

And to all those who were having these issues - thank you for having put so much into the project!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thank you all! It warms my heart whenever we can get a problem fixed. 😃

It's soured a little bit by it not quite working for some folks in Safari, but as long as everyone can classify, it's a win in my book!

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin in response to bje's comment.

Hi @bje,

To clear local data storage in Safari, go to Preferences > Privacy, click the details button, select operationwardiary.org from the list of sites and click the 'Remove' button.

You'll probably need to log back in after doing that, but it should reset all the saved tag data in your browser so that you can continue tagging.

Jim

Posted

Hi Jim

Thanks for your help but I'm using an old version of Safari (5.0.6) and can't find 'details'. All I can find under Security (don't have Privacy) is cookies, and I already tried deleting any that seemed to be linked to operation war diary or zooniverse.

If you know some way to manage this on my version, that would be great, but otherwise I'm now getting on OK with Firefox.

Brenda

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin in response to bje's comment.

Hi Brenda,

Ah right, I checked using Safari 5.1.10 on Snow Leopard, which does have the Privacy tab in Preferences. I don't know how well local data storage is handled in older versions of Safari. I'm not sure of any easy way around this, beyond updating the browser, but I'm guessing your on Leopard (which won't run Safari 5.1)?

Jim

Posted

Thanks Jim, that's right, I'm on Leopard. So I'll just carry on using Firefox

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Looks like we finally nailed this down... the problem is that Leopard won't run the most recent version of Safari, which you need to make this work properly.

Thankfully, no such issues with Firefox. So we're all good?

Thanks to everyone for sleuthing this out!!

Posted

Yep, looks like everything's fine now - thanks again, everybody!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Awesome! Would a mod perhaps like to close this thread, then?

Posted