War Diaries Talk

Indian regiments

• shuli by shuli

Hi, I think the Indian regiment and similar regiments should have their own hashtags since these were not allied armies, but rather special units in the British Army composed of Indian natives.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Why not just use the "Other Unit" tag and the type in their Unit name like you would for any other Allied Unit? It's what we do for Australian and Canadian Units and they are no less special. Using the "Other Unit" tag will make them individually searchable in the database once it is complete just as a person's name will. It;s only now while we are still in the process of tagging that hashtags seem more useful I think.

What do you think we gain from a hashtag that we don't already have in the diary tag?

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

teh various Empire units, whether the Indian Army, or the various Dominion contigents were not quite part of the British Army as such, but they did fight under a unified command structure, and all formations from brigade up in the Indian Army had at least one British unit in them (and artillery was almost entirely British). Commissioned officers in the Indian Army at this time were all (White) British too

Posted

• shuli by shuli

Ok Heather, I'll do that. Thanks for the interesting background David.

Posted