War Diaries Talk

#roadscondition

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

If you come across mention of the condition of roads troops are using, it would be great if you could use the #roadscondition hashtag. Bad roads had all sorts of knock-on effects on men, horses and equipment and it would be really interesting if we could start building up a picture of how extensive road damage was.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Are you interested in road congestion or just in the physical condition of the roads themselves, such as icy, shell holes, trenches across them, etc.?

Posted

I think congestion is likely to be of interest as well as the actual physical state of the roads. Are you coming across many mentions of this? If so, it might be worth us specifying a separate hashtag for it.

Thanks!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I've come across a few mentions of congestion on the roads when a lot of troops are moving in the area. I've seen several in particular relating to the August 1914 retreat. I've also seen a number of mentions of companies ordered to march a certain number of yards apart in order to avoid a complete jam-up at a crossroads. I suppose the idea is that the gap allows cross traffic to move through in between the companies.

Posted

That's really interesting stuff - it must have been a logistical nightmare organising those movements!

For now, I'd suggest tagging this as #roadscondition as well, with a quick note to say it relates to congestion.

Posted