War Diaries Talk

Civilians

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

Should I tag civilian casualties who were wounded in Battalion's Aid Post?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

This is probably a good example of when to use the #alliedrelations hashtag. We'll be able to collect together all examples of British troops interacting with their allies and civilian populations.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

One unit I tagged just yesterday had a horse show and they opened the draught horse category to farmers. I didn't think to tag it as allied relations though. I was thinking of that only in terms of military-to-military contacts. I did make a comment on it, though. Unfortunately, yesterday was a day when I dipped into several different units and I don't remember which one it was!

Might have been the 4th Dragoon Guards, as I think more about it. I remember thinking that this was the same unit where I had seen several weeks ago that they had helped the farmers get in the harvest. And I'm pretty sure that was the 4th Dragoon Guards. There are actually two diaries from the 4th Dragoon Guards to choose from now. Is there a way I can see further back in my tagging history than 10 pages at the bottom of the profile page?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator in response to cgastwein@aol.com's comment.

You can only see pages further back than that if you put a comment or a hashtag on them

Posted

Never mind. I found it by scrolling through the all the recent pages with comments. It is now hashtagged as #alliedrelations.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

If you click on the profile link at the top of this talk page it gives you all your own recently commented on pages and you can reload more so you can get back to it that way rather than scrolling through everyone else's comments too.

Posted

Thank you, Heather. You are such a tremendous help to me as I keep learning how to navigate around the site. I hadn't realized that the profile link on the talk page led to a different set of past work than the profile link on the Operation War Diary home page. I'll try to keep that in mind, as well as keeping a look out for more instances of military-civilian interactions.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

We really do need a proper explanation of what the two profile links can allow you to do. I'll add it to my list of "FAQs we need" and hopefully in Rob's forthcoming forum re-organisation we'll be able to sort this out. I agree it's not obvious and I found it out myself originally purely by chance because I like to click on things and see what they do!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Unfortunately, I think that's how most of us are getting around at the moment! 😄

I haven't heard back about getting the talk pages reorganised yet, but rest assured I'm on the case. I'll let you know once I have some news.

And thanks for using the #alliedrelations hashtag @cgastwein@aol.com !

Posted