War Diaries Talk

Tagging departures

• Stork by Stork

I know that when a man is sent away for transfer or attachment to another unit, in the Person tag's Unit Name box we are supposed to enter the unit to which he is being transferred/attached. What about when a man is sent away temporarily for training- do we enter the name and location of the school he is being sent to, or the name of his unit, since he's still in the unit?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I enter the name of the school he's going to, such as 3rd Divisional School of Instruction or 4th Corps Trench Mortar School. If the diary gives the location, such as Camiers or Valheureux or even Aldershot, I tag that as a place name.

I think that because the information in the Person tag will also include that he is going for training, that it is clear he is remaining in the unit and just away temporarily.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

Thanks, and now a similar question- when a man gets sent to a rest camp, should I tag that as Departed sick, or Departed on leave, or Departed posted or detached to another unit?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Unless it states the reason, I'd use Departed on Leave.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to ral104's comment.

As long as we're on the subject, what about when a man returns from Sick Leave? Is that returning from hospital or returning from leave? I've tagged those as returning from leave, but this seems a good time to clarify.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I'd do the same, unless they specifically say they're returning from hospital.

Posted