War Diaries Talk

How do I go back to prior page?

• KPepper by KPepper

How can I return to a page I just finished tagging? For instance, a name of a location was barely legible, and it turns out I got one letter wrong... which I discovered when I finished the first page and went to the second page which had the same place name, 1 day later, but fully legible. I'd like to go fix it, but don't know how to go back.
    Thanks,
    Kathy

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to KPepper's comment.

There is no way to correct tagging. Someone else will get it right - hopefully! This happens all the time. The software used to analyse the tagging will show all variants submitted. It is possible to load the page again via your PROFILE page and add a comment but I think that would only confuse the issue. I do that only when I want to correct a comment.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Say if you had typed in Yprs, instead of the place Ypres, You could go to your diary Profile page, find the page you want and in the comment box for the page in question type in #correction, should be Ypres instead of Yprs.

Your profile page will only give you the last 10 pages you have tagged though. Have a look at the Discussion Board – The Mess Hall under Useful Tips where there are lots of useful tips. There are generally 5 people tagging a diary page, so if a tagging error was made one of the other people would have tagged the page correctly.

An example on the Useful Tips page:

(1) Go to your Profile page - brings up your recent pages. Should show the last 10 pages normally. Select the page you want . Go to the comment box part- put the cursor to the RIGHT HAND SIDE OF YOUR NAME and it will bring up Edit/Remove. Press Edit - you can then put in what you need to say or change. - (will only allow so many words) - when finished press update.

Or (2) Go to - Currently On Line page. Go into your name. This will bring up ALL the pages you have commented on. Find the page you want. When the page comes up go to comment box part and use the same procedure as above

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to KPepper's comment.

deehar is right. There is no way to go back to a page to correct or change any tags. However, no one tagger is completely responsible for any one page. Each page is tagged by five people before it is deemed "Finished" and then the five tags for something like a place name are compared. Any tags that don't agree with the other four are removed. So, for example, say four people put in Saint-Omer and the fifth one puts in Saint-Amen, the final data will show Saint-Omer, which is the correct name for the town many troops passed through northwest of Ypres.

This system of multiple taggers for each page also covers you if do something I have done numerous times: Moved my cursor to the upper right-hand corner to use the Comment box and clicked Finished instead, with only half the page done!

So, relax and enjoy the adventure of uncovering all kinds of information without the pressure of having to be absolutely correct with every tag.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Pity the Finished Button tag did not have a drop down menu - i.e. Are you sure? Yes or No. Or move it to the bottom of the diary page where it will not be near to the comment box tag,

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

Yes, that would be helpful, wouldn't it? Like the box on Firefox that pops up if you try to close the browser when multiple tabs are open. That one has saved me more times than I can count.

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to marie.eklidvirginmedia.com's comment.

I agree entirely. Maybe moving the Finished button is the better option - that would not increase the number of key strokes necessary to submit a page. Are you sure? Yes/no messages can get tedious too!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I've got this on my list of things we'd like to change if there's ever any opportunity for further development.

I'd also favour just moving the button. Can you imagine how irritating it would get having to confirm your choice every time you want to finish a page?

Posted

• KPepper by KPepper

Thank You everyone! I had read that multiple people tagged the same page, but the "good student" in me still wants to do my best 😃

Posted

• deehar by deehar in response to ral104's comment.

You could of course be very sophisticated and have an extra option on the reminder box "Don't show this message again" !

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist in response to deehar's comment.

We could, but I can't help feeling that brings us full circle to the original problem... 😄

Posted