War Diaries Talk

Small query when tagging awards and commendations in the comment box of the diaries.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Small query when tagging awards and commendations in the comment box of the diaries.

Along with entering #militarymedal #militarycross and other awards in the comment box of the diary page, am I correct in putting #bartomilitary medal also in the comment box when they have been awarded? Just wondering because sometimes these #barstomilitarymedals are not tagged in this way. Link concerning these medals. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_bar

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I know there isn't anything in The Definitive Hashtag List about the bars to medals. I think most people just tag them as #militarycross or #militarymedal. I have tagged them as #militarymedalbar and #militarycrossbar before. I think that what you have been doing is fine, too. There are not as many men receiving bars as there are receiving the actual medals.

This is a good question, though. Maybe Rob will want to clarify what we should do.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Cynthia, on some of the diary pages regarding awards and commendations, men have been listed as receiving say the #militarymedal and also a bar to it. That is why I have been tagging #militarymedal and #bartomilitarymedal. Sometimes they have been just awarded a bar to the military medal only, probably received the military medal earlier, therefore. I tag as #bartomilitarymedal only. I also use the tag #medalribbons when these have been presented.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

That is a good question - thanks for bringing it up, Marie.

What you've been doing is fine, but for consistency it might be better to use the same hashtag as you would for the medal, with bar appended. So, for example, #militarymedalbar

Posted