War Diaries Talk

Field ambulance - use of medical tag?

• bje by bje

I've just started tagging a field ambulance unit, and for almost all entries there are items that could be classed as having a 'medical' connection. Should I use the medical tag for all these - or what should I restrict it to?

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I can't find anything

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Two answers here.

First of all for the standard "in diary" medical tag under "Army Life". The Field Guide says "Tag any reference to routine medical inspections eg for trench foot, vaccinations or the work of the unit Medical Officer (MO)." This definition seems to be written for where the Unit is not normally a medical unit but some medical issue is mentioned. As you rightly say, using this you could tag just about every single line in a medical Unit diary! Maybe try to limit it to those events that are not totally routine? Interested to hear what others have done who have tagged RAMC Units.

Secondly the use of the hashtag #medical from this thread http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000j/discussions/DWD0000d05 Some people are over-using this in RAMC diaries and so we are getting all sorts of totally uninteresting hashtags. I'd save it for mentions of specific diseases or something really unusual. So far example don't bother to hashtag for routine injuries or routine duties but if there is an outbreak of typhoid or a case of mumps or measles then do use it.

Hope that is some help. I would not worry too much about whether you put a standard diary tag on every "medical" thing in a medical diary or not since it is pretty obvious to anyone researching one that it will be full of medical stuff! As ever, tagging the names and places remains the most important thing.

Posted

• bje by bje

Thanks Heather, I'll try to be selective

Posted