War Diaries Talk

How do I tag boats/ships/etc?

• Sheepcake by Sheepcake

They have noted down a boat they were on in the 'Place' section - how do I tag it?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

You can't tag it as a place because the geolocator will only locate static places. We talked in the "Definitive hashtag thread" about using hashtags and this is what I said the last time this question got asked. The poster in this case had asked if we had a ship hashtag and if he could use the place tag.

"Hi @optimise no there isn't one at the moment and although I can see why you have used the Place tag, it won't really work as it's meant for static places (hence the geo-locator function). "Other Unit" isn't really right either as some were civilian ships.

We haven't had a #ship hashtag up till now as really it only seems to apply in the first few days of each Unit's diary when they are embarking for France. However I see no reason at all why we should not introduce one. What I don't think works is having the names of the individual ships tagged as we then get too many options.

So by all means let's introduce a #ship tag but only use it when the Unit whose diary it is is actually on board the ship maybe? So for example not if there's just a mention of a ship, which is not directly related to the unit. Does that sound OK? What do others think?"

So you can't tag it, but do add a hashtag #ship to the page

Posted

• Sheepcake by Sheepcake

That's great thank you 😃 I did try to find the answer on other threads but I must have missed it!

Posted