War Diaries Talk

Casualties listed but not counted

• bje by bje

The diary I'm working on at the moment (24 R Fus) isn't counting casualties as they happen, but giving a separate list of the individual casualties at the end of the month. I thought I'd count them myself, but then realised as this is a report there isn't a casualty tag for me to insert the numbers. Can I include it as a diary sheet?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Does it not give any at all as they happen? Not even the names of officers? That is a bit odd. Usually if there is an end of month report it is additional rather than instead of the running total. Problem with classifying this as a diary page is that it really may not be and if you do this and the other 4 people who tag it don't then your classification will be discarded anyway (not your people tags though - don't worry!)

Does it run on directly from the end of the diary and get written on a diary form or is it a separate headed page not on the diary form? Can you give us a link to it?

Posted

• bje by bje

http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD000133p

It's on separate pages, not a diary form. I started tagging this diary with a list of the previous month's casualties which included a list of officers - as there were a lot of casualties I assumed it was a one off. But I've now found this at the end of the next month and no casualties have been recorded in the diary.
    (Hope I've done the link correctly)

Posted

• bje by bje

Just finished September's diary. Same again - no casualties within the diary, only as a list in a separate report

http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0001379

If this continues it will look as though the 24th Royal Fusiliers came through the war unscathed.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

How frustrating. However what an amazing resource the page is. ALL the names, ORs too, and including the wounded! Honestly the most important thing is to tag every name accurately as I suspect he greatest use of the tags in this project will be to search for individuals.

Can I suggest that maybe you add a comment to each of these (so it can be easily found again) and use a hashtag, something like monthly #casualty list - XX killed, XX wounded, XX missing and so on?

Posted

• bje by bje

Good suggestion Heather - will do

Posted

• fisfiris by fisfiris

Just seen your good suggestion above. DCLI also use a monthly casualty list rather than diary pages - probably because there are so many.
    I recently commented on the speed of tagging these lists. I use a few shortcuts; they may be old hat, I don't know but here goes:
    Don't place the tag on the tagged name until the tag is complete - that way one can read all the details without having to memorise them.
    Typing Pr in the rank field brings up Private; Ser=Sergeant, M=Major, C=Captain etc. Saves scrolling but you must double Tab after the rank.
    Then Tab down thru Initials and Name
    It's frustrating that the 'reason for tagging' field doesn't respond to this treatment.
    If anyone has any other tricks for speeding up the tagging of Nominal Rolls it would be good news to hear of them.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I'll add the hashtag to the definitive list.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Tip: When tagging the Person List. The Reason Box: You can scroll down but I have also found it useful to:-

If you type in the Reason Box

the letter I, it will bring up In Command. the letter A will immediately give you the 3 options the letter J will bring up Joined or attached. the letter D will bring up the 4 options the letter R will bring up the 5 options the letter C will bring up the 6 options combat is the 7th option the letter P will bring up promoted the letter O will bring up Other

I have found this useful. Maybe though the taggers know this already.

Posted

Great advice. Thanks for sharing it.

Posted

• timoak1 by timoak1

on http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead: If you enter the the date range, country, regiment you will get a list of all those killed which can be copied and pasted, problems arise when individuals are posted as missing, gassed, or wounded and are listed as dead on war graves do I list them as per page or dead?

Posted

• timoak1 by timoak1

Plus you can also add their full name [in some cases] rather than just initials. https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org helps with those that were wounded and survived though the rank is not always correct in either,

Posted

Hi Tim. Best to tag the casualties as they appear in the diary. However, when it comes to names, as long as you are certain of the person you're tagging, then feel free to add in full names.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Does this mean that, when we see in the diary a number of O.R.'s killed we look them up in CWGC and tag them? I made such a list for myself (not always finding every casualty) but I never tagged them.

Posted

No, don't worry, Erik. If you would like to do that, we certainly won't complain, but it's not required.

Posted

• josiepegg by josiepegg

Maybe I have misunderstood this thread - but surely we are not supposed to be adding names that aren't already mentioned in the diary? I imagine this would go beyond our remit of indexing and would certainly be confusing to anyone looking for a tagged name that isn't actually there.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to josiepegg's comment.

No, we are not supposed to add in names that don't actually appear in the diary.

The above comment by timoak1 refers to the fact that you can followup on a wounded man and see if he later died of wounds by checking the CWGC site. He was wondering if he should tag them as wounded or died of wounds.

As for adding in a man's full name rather than just initials, if you would LIKE to trace any man through the Lives of the First World War or the CWGC and are CERTAIN that you have a match, using initials, unit and service number, you can type in his full name in the Person tag. This might help someone tracing a particular person. However, this is not a required step in tagging. Entering a man's information just as it appears in the diary is fine.

Whatever you choose to do is always much appreciated.

Posted

• Stork by Stork

I've seen that end-of-the-month casualty list in quite a few diaries. Here's what I've been doing: on the left click 'Report,' tag each person, then in the Talk Comments box at the top right corner I'll put something like, "#casualty list for March- 7 killed, 5 missing, 12 wounded"

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to Stork's comment.

Stork, that's the best way to handle it. And thank you for capturing all the names. Identifying as many of the men as possible is really the heart of the whole project.

Posted