War Diaries Talk

How to tag "ordered to stand by"

• IKINAWANA by IKINAWANA

Got a diary entry about the battalion being ordered to stand by and be ready to move out at a moments notice. Tag as "In Support"?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

You can't assume that no. It depends where they are now. The Field Guide says to use support for times when Units were in support trenches behind the front line so unless the diary says they were actually IN support trenches then you can't tag this one at all really. Remember we can't tag every single thing!

Posted

• IKINAWANA by IKINAWANA in response to HeatherC's comment.

Thanks, and yes - I understand that we can't tag every single thing, but I'm trying to be as accurate as I can so I asked the question. I should have been more clear - the diary does state that they are behind the front lines, held in support and resting, then received the order to stand by, ready to move out at a moments notice. I guess the "In Support" tag from this entry could carry forward to include this order. Thanks.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Ah OK that's a bit clearer (sometimes it can help if you can post a link to the page so we can see what you are tagging - tells you how to do that here http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000f/discussions/DWD0000cx8 )

In this case you have presumably already tagged "resting" and "in support" so I wouldn't tag the "received order" entry separately at all, since they haven't actually done anything except get ready to move.

Posted