War Diaries Talk

Operations File

• Coal_box by Coal_box

Hi - how do i classify it - is it a diary, or a report. It has some good info about movements, but the dates don't include month or year e.g. on the 21st inst

Posted

• Coal_box by Coal_box

Sorry - the title should read Operations File

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Can you link to it? It would be useful to see in context.

By the way, 21st inst refers to the 21st of this month (ult[imo] for last month, and I think, prox[imo] for next month). Very old-fashioned now, but common usage at the time.

Posted

• Coal_box by Coal_box

enter image description here

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Hi, @Coal_box

The easiest way to link to a particular page that you've already tagged is to go to your profile on the main operation war diary site and select the page from the 'Recent pages' section. That will open the page's talk section and the link for that, which will appear in your browser's navigation pane, is the one to use.

To me, this looks like an orders sheet, rather than a diary or a report. I'd classify it as that.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I'd agree with Rob. It's a Divisional Order, signed by the QMG for a mule pack train. The heading "Operations File" isn't the title, it indicates that it was filed in some file relating to Operations (note it says "CC" indicating that a copy was to be filed). While it may indeed be interesting, the movements it details don't all apply to the Unit whose diary this is (I assume 220th MG Coy?) This is exactly why the tags for Orders are not as detailed as those for Diary pages.

Also an Order only details what was supposed to happen, not what actually happened. If and when this order was carried out, the movements that the Unit whose diary this is actually took part in will be detailed and you can then tag them accordingly.

Posted