War Diaries Talk

War Diaries

• canalboat by canalboat

How can I view completed transcriptions of the War Diaries.

Posted

• simonedi by simonedi moderator

they will be coing online mid/endof feb i beleive

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

You can download digitised copies of the diary pages from some Units now http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/905.htm - it will costs you money though. This project isn't doing transcriptions by the way so the answer to your question really is you can't unless someone has done a transcription and made it available elsewhere.

Posted

• Memento_Mori by Memento_Mori

I just completed the diary of
    1 CAVALRY DIVISION: 2 Cavalry Brigade: 4 Dragoon Guards. I was on it start to finish (159 pages) and I feel kind of proud about it. It was moving to read someone's hundred old handwriting, and knowing they are no longer around in 2014. I am happy to have contributed in a very small way to the scope of human knowledge, and I am glad it will make someone elses job a little easier.
    This has been a great, and at times daunting project. Reading those pages was humbling and meaningful, and I am thankful for the opportunity to have done it.

Posted

• makfai by makfai

Well done!

Posted

• simonedi by simonedi moderator

yeh that is an amazing effort!

Posted

• peterr1006 by peterr1006

2 question.

1. Is there a list somewhere of the Diaries where the classification has been completed?
      2.. When I first became involved in classifying there were 5 pages of Diaries to choose from. This is now down to 2 pages and for most of the diaries available a large percentage of the pages has been classified. Is the intention to expand the choice? I like the idea of getting in at the start of a diary and being able to follow through over an extended period of time as I have done already.

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

Hi,

We don't have a list online of the diaries that have been completed so far, although each contributor to the project should get a list of diaries they have worked on their profile page at http://www.operationwardiary.org/#/profile

So far, 200 diaries have been uploaded and I believe the IWM intends to keep releasing them in batches of 100, so the third batch should be available soon. I imagine Zooniverse will send out an email to all the volunteers when the next batch is activated. I think the National Archives has digitised something like 2000 diaries in total, so there are still plenty left to be classified here.

Caveat: I don't work for IWM or the National Archives, so don't take those statements as gospel truth. 😃

Posted

Once again, many thanks for your swift response to my query.

Posted

• RobinLucas by RobinLucas

Some regular feedback (as occurred after the first week) would be good! Totals tagged so far....diaries, pages, names, places, etc...

Posted

6 Division: 1 Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. P109.
    Congratulatory Cards sent from GOC 6 Division to 13 NCOs and ORs whose names,ranks and numbers are listed, for service April-August 1915 at HOOGE .Were Congratulatory Cards an official form of recognition or just an informal means used by this GOC to acknowledge noteworthy activities?

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

Here's a link to that page mentioning Congratulatory Cards, for reference: AWD0000ff5

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

It was widely practised, but not entirely official, form of recognition for acts that didn't reach the standard for Mentions in Despatches or higher gallantry awards I think. Possibly you might also end up with a foregin decoration as we were often given a quota of eg Croix de Guerres to dish out, and these were sometimes used when a British award couldn't be justified.

Posted

• poppynine by poppynine

Anyone know when tagged names will be available to use on the 'Lives of'? A page was posted on comments about 4 months ago where a VC holder was said to have been named in the Times newspaper. Would like to upload that to the Serjeant's Life now.

Posted