War Diaries Talk

Aerial Photograph

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Another good Aerial Photograph with grid references dated 27th May 1917.

From the Diary of 7/8 Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers. Page 103 Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003jk8

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Nice photograph. Thank you for posting it. Do you remember approximately where they were?

I've tried to match up both Google maps and a trench map to it, but so far I can't make sense of it. The coordinates on the photo seem to be 28 N B 24. Map 28 N.W. includes square B.24 which is just west of the canal a bit north of Ypres.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Cynthia - re aerial photograph and your question.

Wonder if this information will help you regarding where the 7/8 Battalion Royal Irish Regiment were during May 1917 in connection with the aerial photograph dated 27th May 1917, I posted. These are entries from my notes:-

Page 62: 1-6 May 1917 at Ridge Wood and I have a note here saying (N 6 c 1 9) Brasserie/
    Page 63: 7-8 May same/Page 64: 8-9 May March to Brasserie. Page 65: 9-15 May Brasserie. Butterfly Farm and York House/Page 66: 15-17 May Same/Page 67: 18-23 May Same/Page 68: 24-31 May *Doncaster Huts/Page 69: cover page/Page 70: 1-4 June *Doncaster Huts/Page 71: 4-6 June/Pages 72-75: 7 June Locre.

Information from a Google search came up with from another diary – *Doncaster Huts (Locre) Lokker (M.29.a.2.9)

Again regarding entries for this diary/Page 101 my entry was a Map/ Page 103 The Aerial photograph in question appeared/ Page 104 my entry was Map A.

Because these appear together in sequence I thought the maps may give you some indication with regard to the Aerial Photograph. Unfortunately, I cannot refer back to these because the person tagging the diary before me must have tagged them and commented #map. As the map comment was already there, I did not comment on it again in the comment box. Could you gain entry to these pages in the diary in question and see if they help.

Cynthia I may not be right about this but I did think that The Aerial Photograph may be connected with The Battle of Messines, 7th June 1917- Wytschaete-Messines Ridge and may have been taken for information for the troops before the attack. (The Intelligence Report which I posted which you are going to read) may give a clue).

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Wherever it is, it's certainly an excellent view of the trench system.

Posted