War Diaries Talk

Interesting Post

• Tredegar by Tredegar

This is for the Cyclist Company (6th Division) Divisional Troops under awards and commendations.

"Pte. Tyrrell (this man was awarded 2 years ??? H.L. just before the Battle of Hooge 9 August 1915, he showed such conspicuous bravery during that action that the General Officer commanding the 6th Division ??? the whole sentence and mentioned the man in dispatches).

I am having trouble with the two words that are question marks. Any mods out there able to help?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Message for Tredegar re not sure off certain words as on your page
    link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003tkr

I read it as ..(1). this man was awarded 2 years imprisonment hard labour...

and (2) the General Officer commanding the 6th Division squashed the whole sentence and he was mentioned in despatches (tag = #mid) Also there is a #story here why his sentence was squashed due to bravery.

PS If you have a question it is best to put the link in for the page. I have inserted the link for your page from the comment you made on the page in question earlier. 😃

PPS I am not a Moderator.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I agree with Marie. Imp would mean imprisonment, and it looks like the second word you couldn't make out might be squashed or quashed, meaning the man's sentence was revoked in consequence of his bravery.

You can use the hashtags in the comment box if you wish, but don't feel they are required. Our use of them has evolved as the project has gone along, and they serve as reference points for researchers of particular topics, but we look at them as an extra bonus and not a required part of our volunteers' activity.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

quashed would be more usual in this context, but it does look like squashed

Posted