War Diaries Talk

2/3rd Gurkha Rifles Diary

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I've just worked my way through a very interesting and very long (maybe 40 pages?) series of signals regarding the unit's operations on 25 Sept. 1915. The signals as a group tell the story of the 2/3rd Gurkhas' experiences that day, as well as the day before and the day or two afterwards. I think it is truly a remarkable collection.

The signals are primarily between the 2/3rd Gurkhas and the Garhwal Brigade headquarters, but there are also a few from other units as well.

Unfortunately, it is arranged with all the 2/3rd Gurkhas' sent messages first, followed by all the messages they received. If it could be re-arranged to be in strict time order the story would become even more clear.

The series ends on page 370 of the diary. I don't know where it starts.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Thanks for that (and sorry for the delayed response!). It would be up to the National Archives to rearrange things as you suggest (which sounds like a great idea to me). Perhaps Colin could make a note of it and pass it through with our next updated of misfiled diaries.

In the meantime, I think I'll go and have a read of this myself. It sounds fascinating.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I wish I could tell you where the series starts, but when I started tagging the diary the first page that came up was already one of the signals. And by the time I realized what the whole set represented, I couldn't go back to find even that page. I didn't make many comments on them, as they were pretty self-explanatory.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

No problem 😃

I haven't got to it yet, but working backwards from the end point won't be an issue. Thanks for mentioning it!

Posted