War Diaries Talk

Voluntarily lowering rank

• Stork by Stork

Why does a soldier voluntarily lower his rank? On the page I'm tagging it says that a Lance Corporal "reverted to Private (own request)" I've seen this twice before. Does he want less responsibility? I assume this lowering of rank includes a pay cut.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, I think that was pretty much it. Not all men wanted to advance through the ranks. They might step up for a while, but not wish to make it a permanent thing.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Isn't it true that not all Lance Corporals had an increase in pay over being a private? I've seen mention of men being promoted to lance corporal with pay and without pay. So if they hadn't had a pay increase, they just might not want the responsibility or to back with their pals.

Posted

Yes, Lance Corporal was just an appointment for a long time, even after the war. So the man's permanent rank would still have been Private. I assume the pay issue had to do with how long they were expected to carry out the additional duties for.

Certain units had Second Corporals, which was a permanent rank.

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34 in response to ral104's comment.

Usually the rank confirmation is backdated though (this can be seen when order is actually printed in the diary ) so I presume the pay would be backdated too?

Posted

I'm not certain of that - time in service for things such as pensions and the like probably would have been, but pay might not. I think it varied from case to case, but perhaps others might know more.

Posted