War Diaries Talk

What is the transcription status of Royal Army Ordnance Corp diaries?

• ianfinlay_aus by ianfinlay_aus

I would like to contribute my efforts to these diaries first and foremost
    As my Gt Grandfather was a watch-maker before the war, and a Sgt during the was in the RAOC, and a Scientific instrument maker after the war for the RAE Farnborough.

Kind Regards
    Ian Finlay

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Just want to let you know someone has seen your question. I can't actually answer it because I have no idea, but I'll pass this along to our other moderator, who is more knowledgeable in this area than I am.

It may take a couple of days, though, what with time differences. I'm in the western US, Rob is in the UK, and you're in Australia, so there may be some lag there.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Ian, this does not answer your question but here is an article relating to the RAOC. Link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Army_Ordnance_Corps

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

The units which became the RAOC after the war tend to be represented at HQ level within the diaries. These diaries are structured differently to the battalion-level ones we're currently dealing with, so they won't be included in this phase of the project. We will want to tag them, but it will require a re-think of some of the tags in order to do so.

There are some exceptions, of course. I'm sure I've seen the odd AOC mobile workshop diary appear in the queue. Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly when they're likely to appear. All you can really do is to keep your eyes peeled for units of particular interest.

In the meantime, all the diaries which have been digitised are available to download through the National Archives website. This page is a good one to start on: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-war-diaries-1914-1922/

There's a small fee to download a diary - last time I checked, it was somewhere in the region of £5.

Posted