War Diaries Talk

Faces of the War Diaries - Stars of the Silver Screen: New Blog Post

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

http://blog.operationwardiary.org/2014/09/17/faces-of-the-war-diaries-stars-of-the-silver-screen/

This is a pretty special one, in my opinion. Thanks to @marie.eklid@virginmedia.com we've found an old film mentioned in the diary of 1st Bn, the Cheshire Regiment. It shows them marching past their CO, then later enjoying a meal and some downtime. It also shows Private T.A. Jones, VC. Well worth a watch - it's just under 5 minutes long. Watch out for the dog about a minute and a half in.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

That's fantastic! Gives a real appreciation of the number of men in a Battalion. Also nice to see what we used to call "range stew" or "all in stew" hasn't changed a bit in 100 years...

Posted

Ha! 😄

Army cuisine at its best!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

This is really wonderful! I loved the dog and the newspaper seller. Touches of normalcy in these unusual circumstances. Now, the newspaper seller would be hustled off camera or asked to sign a release.

Posted

That's true! I was really struck by how shy Private Jones seemed - amazing really, a normal man who'd done extraordinary things.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Watching him in the video you can imagine his mates were calling out to him trying to put him off and he was waving them to be quiet... I wonder if that's what was going on there? I presume that being filmed was pretty out of the ordinary for most people in those days!

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Heather, That's what I thought, too, when I saw those little hand flicks. He was trying to stop his mates from giving him guff while he was being filmed.

It probably felt awkward, too, to just stand there and be filmed. No live or taped interviews back then.

Posted

• Jan_Greenslade by Jan_Greenslade

I thought quite a few of the men filmed whilst eating looked very suspicious of the camera. What a change from today, nobody hogging the shots looking for their 15 minutes of fame.

Posted

Selfies were still 100 years away!

I was looking through the IWM's film archive last week and there are a lot of clips like this, where the men are obviously aware of the camera, but not entirely comfortable with its presence. It makes it all very human, I find.

Posted