War Diaries Talk

Other war diaries

• DavidAndrews1959 by DavidAndrews1959

Is it only the 20 or so war diaries that are available for annotating?
    If there are more, would it be possible to access them?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

We've got 42 up for tagging at the moment, by my count, and there are another 540 which have already been tagged. There's a queue of other diaries waiting to be activated as well and that will get refreshed as the National Archives release more digitised diaries. If there's a unit you're particularly interested in, we can't guarantee you'll be able to tag it here because of the way the system works, but you can download a copy from the National Archives' website directly. There's a small charge, but it's well worth it if you have a particular interest in a certain battalion.

Posted

• milh0use by milh0use

Hi David,

We do have a batch of diaries imminently going live, I've been watching the diary count declining, and we're sorting out the remaining technical issues to get the new ones live.

We're uploading diaries from 36th and 16th division, next. These are Irish regiments.

Thanks for bearing with us.

Posted

• mashtheweb by mashtheweb

Hi there, are there any batch of diaries that have been recently completed and been removed. I am interested in seeing the finished archived diaries.

Posted

You can access data for the 540 diaries which have been completed so far here: http://wd3.herokuapp.com/public

However, if you're interested in getting copies of the diaries themselves, then you'll need to go through the National Archives' website.

Posted

• mashtheweb by mashtheweb

Thanks! 😃

Posted

Is it possible to say how many more diaries there are to tag. Thought 540 was a lot, however am looking for 2Bn Essex Regiment. 4th Division 12th Brigade. Presumable not yet downlaoded?

Posted

That's already been tagged - it's no. 340 in the list at the link above, if you'd like to use the data.

Posted

Thank you. I'll keep tagging!

One more question - my completed pages don't seem to be making it to the completed diary pages as the percentage completed is not increasing. However my profile is reflecting the number of pages completed. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Posted

Yes, that's normal - each diary page is tagged by 5 volunteers, which helps us work out any conflicts in the tagging data, so the percentage complete for each diary reflects the number of pages tagged five times, rather than your position in the diary.

Hope that makes sense!

Posted

Thank you

Posted