War Diaries Talk

Hello, Operation War Diary!

• DZM by DZM admin

Hello, OWD Zooites!

My name is Darren--DZM here on Talk--and I've just joined the Zooniverse team. I'm working on a few projects, first and foremost continuing to improve this here Talk system. In particular, I’m interested in working to build a unified Zooniverse Talk within which individual project forums are nested.

If you have any additional ideas for how Talk can be improved, I’d love to know! I’ll also be around these boards as often as possible, looking for any other ways in which I can help out, so I’m always interested in hearing from you all.

A note: I don’t have any sort of background in military history, and I know more about WWII than WWI, so anything I might contribute along those lines should be taken with a fair bit of salt. 😃 I’m interested in the topic, though, and I’m hoping to learn a lot from all of you bright folks! Probably the biggest barrier to my working with this project will be my miserable inability to read cursive scrawl, but I’m willing to give it a shot.

If there’s anything that you think the new guy should know right off the bat, please share, and feel free to ask anything about me as well. Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming, and I’m looking forward to working together!

Yours in citizen history,

DZM

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Hi Darren,

Welcome aboard! @HeatherC in particular has some great suggestions for improving Talk and I've got some ideas too. No doubt there'll be a few PMs heading your way shortly.

Enjoy!

Rob

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thanks, Rob and Heather! I'm looking forward to it!

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Hi Darren

Yes we've got plenty of ideas about improving Talk - I sent most of mine in some time ago when we were asked to suggest improvements. Hopefully you already have those... I'd love to see these forums actually LOOK more like a forum as they aren't the easiest to navigate and the Mod tools are a bit limited too. I'm sure we'll talk about it more going forward!

Heather

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

@HeatherC, I do have several documents of suggestions compiled by other Zooniverse staff, though I'm not 100% sure that they include yours... How did you submit? With the feedback form? I'm going to check to see if the documents that I have right now include the suggestions sent in through the feedback form. I won't let that be lost; I promise! 😃

I definitely agree about improving the visual design to look more friendly and navigable. I know that our designer is already working on some mock-ups for how a new Talk might look, so we're definitely working on it!

Posted

Yes, we sent feedback in through the form. I think most of the issues should be covered by that, but if you have any questions just PM either Heather or me. Mostly it was around greater flexibility in forum and sub-forum set-up and more mod functionality.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I just now got access to all of the data from the feedback form, so if you used that, I have your suggestions.

Thank you very much; nice to meet you! 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

If anyone would like to know a bit more about me and my role, there's a new Zooniverse blog post up from Chris Lintott introducing me.

Feel free to check it out, and I'm happy to answer any additional questions that you might have! 😃

Posted

How does it feel to the most important man in the Zooniverse? 😄

Good to have you here, Darren. We're all looking forward to the Talk improvements.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

That's Chris' phrase, not mine! blush

I promise to do my best to live up to it! 😃

Posted