War Diaries Talk

Jargon....again

• LinsladeLad by LinsladeLad

I've been on here for a few months now, but been tagging and not bothered with the boards too much - except for background info. So, first post.

Firstly, greetings to one & all. Hope you're all having as much fun as I am.

Secondly, a couple of "how to" questions if you don't mind. I'm a newbie to boards in general, so these may seem obvious....

1. There's a lot of posts about hashtags. There's an implication that somebody, somewhere maintains an updated list of these. How do I go about finding the latest version & printing it?
    2. If I want to include a URL link in this message box, how do I go about doing it?

Finally, a further question for those who may know. Seeing that the RFC greww out of the army, do we know if there is any intention to digitise any of the RFC war diaries?

Thanks & best regards

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Hi and welcome to the project. Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Hashtags: There's a whole forum area for discussing this and the "definitive hashtag thread" is here http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000j/discussions/DWD0000d05 Note we've also started a "things not to hashtag" list in the same forum area.

URL. Not sure exactly what you mean here? An external URL - just copy and paste. A URL to a specific page - this is explained in the "how to use your profiles" FAQ, which is here http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000g/discussions/DWD0000cx8 please say if that doesn't give you the answer.

Digitisation is the responsibility of the National Archives. I can;t see anything about RFC diaries on their website. Hopefully David Underdown will spot this as he is likely to know the answer to this one!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I have a feeling the RFC diaries are catalogued separately from the rest of the WO95 diaries. I'm not sure whether the National Archives have plans to include them in the digitisation work they're doing or not, but I'll see if I can find out for sure.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

My understanding is that RFC material was transferred from the War Office to the new Air Ministry en masse when the RAF was formed, so it's now in either of the record series AIR 1 or AIR 2 (I forget which off the top of my head). As such it's not included in the current WO 95 digitisation plan, and so far as I can see it's certainly not on the cards as a separate project in the immediate future. The centenary commemoration plan is still under development though

Posted

• brownfox by brownfox

Having ferreted around the National Archives site, it's AIR 1 - but the material doesn't seem to be all in one block at TNA, probably because of the way it was originally transferred. So it would be a job to find out exactly what's available in the first place.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

I suspect there may be a bit of a listing in the book "The First World War : the essential guide to sources in the UK national archives", but I've not looked at my copy for a while (copies are also available in the library section at The National Archives")

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Investigations are underway...

We're working with TNA to get a sense of what there is and what state it's in, with a view to working out how we can include it in OWD. Word of warning: this is likely to be quite a slow process, but I'll let you know whenever we have any updates.

Posted