War Diaries Talk

Operation Borderland

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Here's a short article https://www.dur.ac.uk/palace.green/whatshere/iotm/archive/2018/06/ about Operation Borderland, which began on June 27/28, 1918, near Vieux-Berquin and Merville. The operation's objective was to push back the Germans after their spring offensive had allowed them to move further into France than they had achieved before along this part of the front. This article details the opening assault made by two battalions of the 93rd Infantry Brigade in the 31st Division. Diaries from this division have been, and some still are, active on our Diaries page right now.

I've been tagging the Signals Coy. from the 31st Division, which mentions preparations for Operation Borderland. I'd never heard of it, so I looked it up. This article also talks about the use of aerial reconnaissance and photography, which was mentioned in a thread here just a week or so ago.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Article re 31st Division in ww1 also mentions Operation Borderland

Le Becque and Ploegsteert: - Once out of the line the Division began training for offensive operations. 31st Division took part in Operation Borderland, a limited attack on La Becque and other fortified farms in front of the Forest of Nieppe on 28 June, in what was described as 'a model operation' for artillery cooperation. Individual units continued to make small advances through aggressive patrolling and seizing strongpoints (so-called 'peaceful penetration') until the Allies began a coordinated offensive in August.

The Division captured Vieux-Berquin on 13 August 1918 and pushed forward until running into serious opposition south of Ploegsteert on 21 August, where fighting continued into September.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/31st_Division_(United_Kingdom)

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I tagged at least one of the infantry diaries from that division when they were up here. They had an awful time at Ploegsteert. It all sounds familiar.

Posted