War Diaries Talk

Religion in Army life

• Stork by Stork

I'm always amazed at how accepting the Army is of religions. The battalion I'm tagging has services for Roman Catholic, Church of England, Presbyterian and Nonconformists. Do units keep clergy on staff for all of these, or do soldiers go to nearby churches in France and Belgium? Did this ever cause problems between soldiers in the same unit?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

After searching about on Google for something to refer you to for more information, I found this: https://blog.operationwardiary.org/2015/02/20/chaplains-on-the-western-front/ on our own blog, written by Rob last year.

To add a few more details, I have tagged diaries where Roman Catholic soldiers did go to services in the village church when the unit was far behind the lines. I have seen mention of Jewish services as well. This photo shows a church parade on the Somme battlefield: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205193971

Somewhere I have seen a photograph of about a dozen men, I think they were officers, kneeling on chairs turned backwards during a service in a semi-destroyed church on the Western Front--maybe in Amiens or Albert?--but I can't find it now.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Not the photo you're after, Cynthia - but this (http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205245998) is always one I find quite fascinating.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator in response to ral104's comment.

Do you know why they are writing on the slabs?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I don't, I'm afraid. But I like to think they were leaving messages for luck - prayers maybe, or perhaps remembering friends they had lost.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Those both sound likely.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Chaplains were officially attached at brigade level, officially I think there would usually have been a Anglican (CofE) (or Church of Scotland ie Presbyterian for Scottish units), Roman Catholic and non-conformist chaplains attached at that level. Casualty Clearing Stations also had one or more chaplains attached. Smaller Christian denominations, and also Jewish chaplains, were a bit rarer and might only be found at divisional level. These would all normally be ranked as Chaplains to the Forces Class 4. Division, Corps, Army etc would have higher ranked chaplains (Class 3, 2, 1 - lower number was higher rank. I think Class 4 wore the same insignia as a captain, 3 "pips", Class 3 that of a major the crown etc) who had a supervisory and pastoral role over the lower ranking chaplains, again each denomination might have these higher-ranked chaplains. At GHQ you had the Deputy Chaplain General (the actual Chaplain General remained at home, administering the chaplaincy service in general, recruiting chaplains etc). Roman Catholic soldiers certainly did also attend the local churches when out of the line (as this was pre the Vatican II reforms, all their services would have been in Latin anyway)

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Image AWD0003jc9 Image AWD0003jco Image AWD0003jat Burial Orders and Chaplains

Posted