War Diaries Talk

Who were the Saxons?

• Stork by Stork

In the 2nd line of this page, three captured enemy said they were Saxons. The Wikipedia article about Saxons only talks about them in Roman times. Can anyone tell me about them during WW1 or give links to better articles?

Also on this page, note how the British have given names to 4 of the enemy's weapons. This is the first time I've seen that.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

The Saxons were part of the German WW1 Fighting Force. Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Saxon_Army

I think the names are for the German Gun Emplacements. i.e. (A structure on or in which something is firmly placed.
    "a machine bolted to a concrete emplacement").

PS If you require an answer from google just put in your question and put WW1 after it, it will give you a better definition.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

The German troops in World War 1 were not a unified army like the British army, but were an amalgamation of troops from each of the smaller states within the German Empire. The Kingdom of Saxony was one of those states.

I agree with Marie that the names were to designate individual gun emplacements. These seem to have been for heavy trench mortars, which required a solid and stable base to fire, so emplacements were dug to accommodate them.

Posted