War Diaries Talk

Perch - Pike and DUD

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Image AWD0003j3l is a report on a gap in the wire and it ends with this page "signed" Perch. I had a similar report Image AWD0003ixv that is signed Pike and ends on the following page with DUD Image AWD0003j3q. I suppose that are codenames? Perch is the name of a adjt, I discovered on the next page (Image AWD0003j0z)

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Believe these are code names for operations to be carried out etc.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I agree with Marie that these are probably code names of some sort. Perch and pike are both types of fish, and code names tend to be grouped around a theme, although I can't explain DUD.

However, Perch and Pike are also English surnames. Is the adjutant's actual surname Perch or is it his code name?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I would also have assumed they are codes for unit COs, but they could actually just be surnames. In that case, DUD may be initials.

If these are reports received during a combat operation, though, it's more likely they are codes.

Posted

Those reports are reports of inspections of the wire in front of the enemy line. I just came across another "codename" - not a fish this time - namely Peach. Image AWD0003izk . But why do they use codenames as they mention their real names in the report?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Have come across lots of code names in signals pads, probably used to protect the content of messages.

Posted

It may well be to disguise which unit they're with, Erik. The Germans would have wanted to know who they were facing. It would also help to avoid pinpointing the position of an HQ or other command units.

Posted

It looks like maybe the letter P was the link: Perch, Pike, and Peach.

Posted

Perch is a codename for a unit and lt col Dalzell-Walton being the CO of it. Image AWD0003j8c

Posted

What an interesting page, Erik! All those crossouts!

It looks like Perch is the battalion if Lt. Col. Dalzell-Walton is the C.O. They were apparently preparing for an attack.

Posted

Possibly the others were brigade elements, then.

Posted