War Diaries Talk

Interesting Article regarding 9th Battalion Royal Irish Regiment. - Also Map links/ Battle of Somme/Photo's in Article.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I have just started tagging this diary and this information may be of interest to other people tagging the 9th Btn Royal Irish Fusiliers Regiment.

The article gives a Report on their Actions with the names of Officer Casualties and OR’s wounded, killed and missing
    9th Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers Battle of Somme 1916. Detailed and interesting article with photographs. Link: http://www.webmatters.net/txtpat/?id=77

Gives links also in the article to (A) attached documents (B) 36th Ulster Division 1st July 1916. (Cynthia this article also gives links to Maps which I know you are interested in and information of the Battle of the Somme).

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Great find, Marie!

Are you working on the 9th Royal Irish Regiment or the 9th R. I. Fusiliers? Your link goes to the Fusiliers.

I've been tagging the 12th Royal Irish Rifles, who were with the 9th R.I. Fusiliers on July 1, so this is very interesting. I found the 12th R.I. Rifles report of the battle on your link taken straight from the diary, so it may be that your link is also in the 9th R.I. Fusiliers diary.

Posted

Yes I am working on the 9th Royal Irish Fusiliers Diary - forgot to put Fusiliers in the title. The link Report was headed "War Diary The Somme - 9th (S) Royal Irish Fusiliers". The maps included are interesting. Having just tagged the nominal roll for Officers in this diary, unfortunately I see many of their names have appeared in the casualty report as killed, wounded, missing in the link mentioned.

Posted

The 12th Royal Irish Rifles weren't as organized. No nominal rolls at all, and even when an individual is noted it is just by rank and last name. No initials or service number.Even the man who won the Victoria Cross is only listed as Rfn. Quigg. On the other hand, there is a 10-page detailed report of a raid that includes the timetable of the raiding party's return, where they gathered and took roll, etc.

Posted

12th(S) Battalion Royal Irish Rifles

Cynthia I have found a link with an article written by the OC Lt. Col. G Bull. If you go into the link mentioning 1st July 1916 (The Ancre Valley) you will find entries for Rifleman Quigg and Lt. Geoffrey Cather, who both won Victoria Crosses. The link also contains the names of Officers and OR’s and a casualty list giving names.

Link: http://www.webmatters.net/txtpat/?id=80

Posted

Thank you! The article by Lt. Col. Bull is actually the report of the battalion's operations on 1st July that appears as an appendix to the July 1916 diary.

I came across this article about Rifleman Quigg http://www.ulster-scots.com/uploads/1601126274187.PDF that says he was actually 2nd Lt. Sir Harry Macnaghten's batman and had promised Sir Harry's mother that he wouldn't come home without Sir Harry. Hence his valiant effort to find Sir Harry. This is the only one I've seen that states Quigg was Sir Harry's batman, but several others do say that Quigg had worked previously on the Macnaghten family estate in Ireland.

Lt. Lemon, Lt. McCluggage, 2/Lt. Macnaghten, and Rfn. Robert Quigg, #12/18645, all have pages on Lives of the First World War that have had material added.

Posted