War Diaries Talk

#alliedrelations This is very an interesting letter to the Mayor of Arras from the Lt . Col. in command of 1 Btn Royal Irish Fusiliers.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

This is very an interesting letter to the Mayor of Arras, dated 1st August 1917, from the Lt. Col commanding 1 Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers, saying he has 2 brass cartridge cases of a 24 c/m German Gun which was fired in action at Roeux and which was no doubt amongst others, was possible for the damage to your beautiful city.

He also mentions the most cherished badge of Regiment. is the emblem of the Eagle of France, worn in remembrance of Barrosa in 1811. CO would deem it a great honour if the Mayor would accept these cartridge cases on behalf of the people of Arras.

Link: https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0003d3s

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I was just reading that, Marie. Thanks for posting the link. Sometimes I feel when reading the diaries that they could have been written just yesterday, but this letter puts me in mind of a different era somehow. I wonder whether the author would have preferred to have been soldiering during the Napoleonic wars.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

The letter is written in a very formal style with several references to honor. Makes it seem old-fashioned.

I wonder what happened to the cartridge cases? Did they end up in a museum? Or did the mayor keep them?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Cynthia I was wondering that as well - hope The Mayor of Arras kept them.

Posted