War Diaries Talk

The RN Division

• jpmoses66 by jpmoses66

Apologies if this as already been discussed, but I would be very interested to know if the RND units kept War Diaries and if so, would we expect to see them appear on OWD? Haven't seen any so far. Tks

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

You can check out which Units kept war diaries and whether or not they have yet been digitised by searching the National Archives Discovery catalogue. Yes RND units did keep war diaries http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C4556259 however we don't control which ones come online for tagging when so I don't think we can answer when you might see them.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

They did keep war diaries, but I'm not certain that they will be in the same catalogue collection as the army diaries. If that's the case, they're unlikely to be part of the current digitisation work, so we won't see them on OWD for the time being. Same sort of issue with RFC records and the like.

Hopefully David Underdown from TNA will see this - he knows far more than I do.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

They are there, pieces WO 95/3093-3119 and have been digitised, so they will be fed through at some point. As 63 (Royal Naval) Division it was placed under full War Office control at soe point (I forget the exact date) so has stayed with the rest of the war diaries, whereas RFC material was handed over to the new Air Ministry en bloc (there might be some mentions at Corps and Army level). It hin k the war diary type stuff is mostly in AIR 2

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Thanks for that, David - they'll certainly make for an interesting read when they come through.

Posted

• jpmoses66 by jpmoses66

Thank you to all for your swift responses. A fascinating part of OWD awaits!

Posted