War Diaries Talk

1st Cameron Highlanders

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I have just finished tagging a VERY long series of signal messages and reports all centered around an attack made by the 1st Brigade on High Wood, 3 Sept. 1916. There might be around 100 items in the series; certainly, several dozen. This could be a treasure trove for someone researching the details of that attack or High Wood.

There are also a number of maps, both printed and hand-drawn. Some of these are quite good and detailed and colorful. I've hashtagged a few for the Daily Zoo.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Thanks, Cynthia. The diaries are amazing for day-to-day summaries of what went one, but that sort of blow-by-blow account is much rarer. What a find.

Posted

It just seemed like I needed to acknowledge it. There aren't very many names in it, other than officers, but it definitely shows what went on that day. And there isn't any account of it at all in the actual diary, just a mention to see attached items.It is such a different view of the battalion, because the diary tends to be rather terse, focusing on where they were rather than what they were doing.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Cynthia, I believe that a French Farmer now owns High Wood and people are not welcome to go in there. It is a very dangerous place because it is still the same as it was during the 1st World War. High Wood held out until September the 15th, 1916. It was never fully cleared after the war, and it is estimated that the remains of around 8000 soldiers, British and German, still lie today in High Wood. The Signal Pads and Reports you tagged would have made sad but interesting reading.

Article on High Wood - Link: http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/somme/high_wood.html

Posted

Marie, the diary is still up! It's the 1st Division; 1st Infantry Brigade; 1st Cameron Highlanders covering 31 Dec. 1915 to 30 Dec. 1916. Be sure to check the dates as I believe there are three 1st Cameron Highlanders diaries up right now. It shows only 4% complete.

Most of these messages have such an official tone that it isn't too difficult to get through. There are, however, a couple of scribbled messages from 2nd Lt. Millar, who I assume was very young, where it seems his fear and feelings of frantic helplessness come through as he pleads for reinforcements. He survived, as did most, but not all, of the officers. I never did figure out which company Capt. Methuen was commanding, either!

Thank you for the link to the article as well. Very interesting.

Posted