War Diaries Talk

11th Field Ambulance 1919

• lmulberrysky.com by lmulberrysky.com

After spending many years with this gallant group, I was very disappointed to find that I went from February 1919 to June 1919 with nothing in between. Obviously I was delighted to record their voyage home from Boulogne but I wanted to follow them winding down to demobilisation and to see who had survived the horror. What happend to Lt Col D Ahern - no mention of him being posted or relieved. Also intereting to note the diaries finally started using the 2400 clock from October 1918 after all those years of am and pm. Would be interested in knowing how many medals this Field Ambulance won . I shall miss them.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Is this article of interest to you? I googled the name Lt Col D Ahern and this article came up:-
    Link http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/109.html

Posted

• lmulberrysky.com by lmulberrysky.com

Thank you - how interesting. Altho it does sound a bit of a social diary of lunches, teas and dinners it does give me a broader aspect of 11th Field Ambulance. I did find mention of Lt Col Ahern at Netley Military Hospital in 1926 so I knew he survived the war - I did get involved on a daily basis with this group.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Thanks for the link, Marie - fascinating!

Sorry that you didn't get to follow them all the way though, lmulberry. I know how disappointing that can be. Sometimes it's because those pages have already been fully tagged and closed for processing. Other times it's simply because parts of the diary are missing.

You can download the full diary from the National Archives, though. There's a charge (around £4, if memory serves), but it would allow you to go back through and read the missing sections, if they exist. If you think you might want to do that, let me know and I'll check behind the scenes to see whether those pages are actually there or not (which will save you experiencing the same disappointment twice over!)

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

The download charge is £3.30. They should also be on Ancestry if you have a subscription (or you may well find that your local library has a corporate subscription)

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

However, it does seem that it to skip straight from February to June

Posted

Thanks, David. Looks like getting hold of your own copy isn't going to help then, lmulberry. Sorry.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

If you look at the comments for this page, Heather also noted 9 months ago that those months are missing from the original.

Posted

Good point! 😄

Posted