War Diaries Talk

Photography during a bombardment

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

More questions regarding the 2nd Brigade R.F.A. This page is part of a set of orders for bombardments during an infantry offensive in the Somme area, September 1916. There are three periods of time set for "Photography." I'm presuming this does not mean that the men posed next to their guns and smiled, but I am wondering what was photographed and why.

The level of detail in this diary continues to be above the ordinary. I guess that's why it runs to 913 pages!

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Great to have such detail, isn't it!?

I'm not 100% certain, but I'd imagine the photography mentioned might have been carried out by aerial spotters, either from fixed balloons or more likely from an aeroplane.

Posted

That was my thought, too, that it was a break in the action to assess the damage and/or accuracy of the firing. I wasn't sure, though, so thought I'd post this to get other ideas.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I was sure I posted to this thread to say I don't really know but I wondered if it was for RFC reconnaissance. However apparently I managed to move the original post to here but not my reply - doh!

Posted

Heather, I saw your post under The Objects and wondered if it was in response to my question!

Posted

I'll move it over here for posterity! 😄

Posted

Oops, no I won't. It's disappeared!

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I deleted it when I realised what I'd done and just wrote it again as above 😃

Posted

I came across further orders at a later date in the diary that specified that the R. F. C. would be taking before and after photos of the area designated for a bombardment.

Posted

Excellent! Nice to have our various hunches confirmed!

Posted