War Diaries Talk

Major The Earl of Cassillis

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0001e7g
    Major The Earl of Cassillis joined the Btn. I believe he may be the same man as Captain The Hon R Craven, who was mentioned earlier in the diary.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

No, I don't think they're the same person. This is the Earl of Cassillis (aka as the Marquess of Ailsa):

4th Marquess of Ailsa, Archibald Kennedy, b.1872, a.1938, d.1943

Son of the 3rd Marquess and Evelyn Stuart (b.1848, d.1888), daughter of Charles Stuart, 12th Lord Blantyre. Educated at Eton and Trinity College Cambridge, he was admitted as an Advocate in 1897. He fought in the Boer War, winning several decorations, and eventually reached the rank of Major in the Royal Scots Fusiliers. In 1930, he was made Honorary Colonel of the 4th/5th Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers. He was also a Fellow of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society. He died without issue.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Thank you for the quick response in answering my question. Interesting information. Glad I checked it out with you.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

What's the best way to fill in the Person tag for someone like Major The Earl of Cassillis? Also, I've been putting Sir, as in Sir James Willcocks, and Hon. on the First Name line, but is that the best way to deal with it?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

No problem, Marie!

As for the best way to fill in the person tag...i think your approach is probably the best way to handle it. In this particular instance, I would just put 'The Earl of Cassillis' as his surname. Not ideal, but about the best we can do.

Posted