War Diaries Talk

Indian Unit

• SarahtheEntwife by SarahtheEntwife

I've just started tagging the 7 Indian (Meerut) Division: 130 Indian Field Ambulance, and it's fascinating. Are we going to get more Commonwealth units? So far we've gone by ship from Bombay to Marseille, and had a bunch of rather depressing little offhand comments about the level to which the Indian troops aren't being properly supplied or respected compared to the British ones. This is the only hospital unit available to treat them.

The adjutant also notes that the weather is Very Cold, which yes I imagine it is if you're used to India 😉 Poor guys; it's only September.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

They really are fascinating to read! We should be getting many more Indian Army diaries. I hope to also see ANZAC, South African, Canadian, et al. diaries entering the queue, although I don't think any of them have currently been digitised by TNA, so it may not be for a while.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Although we hold copies of many of the Commonwelath contingent diaries, in most cases the versions held by their home countries are more complete (eg those held by Library and Archives Canada have complete appendices even including Part II orders which were sadly removed from teh British diaries years ago), and in many cases have already been digitised (Australia and Canada have), and so we are not planning to include this material in our digitisation programme (some higher formation infomration might be included such as corps level diaries).

Posted