War Diaries Talk

Planned Relief

• Cal55 by Cal55

It may just be my imagination, as I haven't started keeping notes on it, but it seems to me that the unit planned to relieve a battalion is frequently not the one that actually does so. Has anyone else noticed this? Also sometimes the destination planned on relief changes too. All to be expected of course in the chaos of war. But I wonder if the tags could actually capture this if there's was a 'planned to be relieved by' option under the Other Unit tag, rather than Other which is how I've been tagging the intended relieving unit. This may be useful to someone looking at how plans work/don't work or how strategy developed. Just a thought.

Cheers
    Cal

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

And an interesting thought too! However, we made the decision when we started out that we wanted to look at what actually happened, rather than what was planned to happen. That in itself is going to give us enough data to keep us busy for a very long time!

If this is something you're interested in recording, though, whether it's for your own interest or because you feel there's enough of a pattern there to warrant it, then by all means suggest a hashtag or a set of hashtags in the definitive hashtags list here: http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000j/discussions/DWD0000d05

I'd be happy to add it to the list, as long as we can come up with something which captures the info effectively.

Posted

• Cal55 by Cal55

Hi There. Thanks for the thoughts. I guess I was just wondering if other people had come across this, and if so how prevalent it is.

I'll mull it over, and try to make more of a note of it ongoing, to see how/if/whether a hashtag might be of any use.

Cheers
    Cal

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Thanks, Cal. Certainly the standard tags don't cover everything by a long shot, so do get involved in the hashtag thread and we'll see what we can work out.

Posted