War Diaries Talk

Motor Ambulance or something else?

• Maria64 by Maria64

I've been tagging the war diaries of 3 CAVALRY DIVISION: 6 Cavalry Field Ambulance since the start of the war. It's author has not always been very co-operative, for example, by not signing any of his pages, meaning I had to hunt him down via the internet.

Motor Ambulances were in short supply and this unit had two by 1915. Until this point, they were always referred to as just that motor ambulances, in these diaries. I was aware that a lot of unit re-organization was going on at this time and suddenly with this page, I saw and tagged ''No.86 F.A.'' , thinking it may be a new unit or a field station/hospital. His handwriting can be atrocious at times and further down the page, I saw that what he'd actually written was ''No.8 C.F.A.'' These references are usually preceded by ''moved wounded to No.8 F.A.'' for example, although there are other numbers instead of the '8'.
    Does anyone know what they actually were, please? Should I tag these items - places?, units? - or ignore them?
    Your thoughts would be gratefully received.
    Best wishes,
    Maria.

Posted

• Maria64 by Maria64

Hi there, folks.
    I just wanted to add another example of the usage of this 'No.? C.F.A.' from the next page:

''Saw O.C. No.8 C.F.A. and gave him orders from A.D.M.S.''

Any thoughts, guys? Thank you. Maria.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Hi Maria

FA in this context usually means a Field Ambulance - i.e. a Unit, not a vehicle. In this case No 8 CFA = no 8 Cavalry Field Ambulance. Tag as "Other Unit" (using the diary tags, not hashtags)

If you haven't already seen it, you might find this page useful http://www.1914-1918.net/fieldambulances.htm

Kind regards

Heather

Posted

• Maria64 by Maria64

Hi Heather,
    Thanks for your answer. I knew F.A. was Field Ambulance and had made the connection of C.F.A.= Cavalry Field Ambulance but up until this point I'd never seen this phrase or seen it written this way. I guess the use of 'No.8' threw me and my internet research brought no joy. Thanks for the link, Heather - it looks very interesting. Will carry on and tag them as 'other unit' on Diary Page.
    Best wishes,
    Maria.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Hi, Heather,
    I've read the article you linked to. Very interesting, but I'm wondering where a Casualty Clearing Station fits in? I've seen references to those in several diaries.

Posted

• Maria64 by Maria64 in response to cgastwein@aol.com's comment.

Hi there, I found this information on 'The Long, Long Trail which I found helpful...

''The Casualty Clearing Station was part of the casualty evacuation chain, further back from the front line than the Aid Posts and Field Ambulances. It was manned by troops of the Royal Army Medical Corps, with attached Royal Engineers and men of the Army Service Corps. The job of the CCS was to treat a man sufficiently for his return to duty or, in most cases, to enable him to be evacuated to a Base Hospital. It was not a place for a long-term stay. ''

I hope this helps. Best wishes, Maria.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I highly recommend using The Long Long Trail for any queries you have about any WW1 Unit. Here's the CCS page that Maria quoted from http://www.1914-1918.net/ccs.htm

Here's the home page http://www.1914-1918.net/ It also describes the make-up of Formations (Divisions and Corps), gives an outline of the battles fought and has excellent sections on Army Life and Army Regulations.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Thank you, Maria and Heather. It's always good to understand the chain through which anything moves in an army.

Posted