War Diaries Talk

Disembowelling of horses

• SarahPowell by SarahPowell

I found a reference to dead horses being disembowelled before burying. Was this standard practice, and if so why?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

I've been hoping someone would answer this as I don't really know for sure. The only reference I can find to anything like this is in a US document about how to dispose of horse carcasses (yes really!) which talks about "lancing the abdomen" before burial to prevent the carcass bloating. Maybe this was for a similar reason?

Posted

Yes, I wondered that too. I will do a bit of investigation and see if I can find out any more.

Posted

• peterr1006 by peterr1006

I have been searching in vain for some information on how to deal with references to horses. I have been looking at the first few pages of the Diary of a Mobile Veterinary Section. On almost all pages, not unnaturally, there is reference to the Section collecting and transporting 'unsound' horses and the shooting of those which are beyond any treatment. There has been no mention of disembowelling (or indeed anything to do with disposal of the carcasses). Do I need to hashtag Horses? Or should I add any further details about numbers involved etc? So far everything I have read seems to be no more than routine activity. Advice would be welcome.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Hi Peter

The Project is not seeking to collect data on horses, so there is no way of tagging them within the normal diary tags. I don't think adding details of the numbers is all that useful. Some people have been hashtagging the word horse or horses, but to be honest they are such common words that I really don't think it's all that useful. I do know others have been tagging specific horsey diseases which might be more useful as the words are more unusual.

Heather

Posted

This is what I have been doing, although even some of the diseases (e.g. strangles, laminitis) come up pretty frequently.

Posted