War Diaries Talk

Daylight Saving Time

• bootnecksbs by bootnecksbs

Hiya,

Just a little sideline question:- was this the first year that the clocks went back?

This year the clocks go forward on 30th March at 01.00 GMT and they go back on the 26th October 02.00 BST (of course I looked it up, I ain't that clever...well actually I am a bit clever but maybe not that clever enough to...ok I'll shut up!)

I googled it, naturally (other search engines available - please don't sue me...phew)

Be interesting to know though if this was the first time it was used and how come we have now jumped forward to the end of Oct.

I know, I know "what's this gotta do with what were doing mate?"

Well "Mate" (huh, I don't even know you and your calling me mate, bloomin' liberty if ya ask me - oh,go on then, we're all mates here) it might not have a lot to do directly but it would be interesting to know anything about it.

I'm shutting up now and going back to work.

Happy Tagging etc

Max

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Hi Max

1916 was indeed apparently the first year the clocks had gone forward for BST and this was the first time they'd had to "put the clocks back" in October. I didn't know that either (I'm not actually that smart) but the might of Google did! http://www.rmg.co.uk/explore/astronomy-and-time/time-facts/spring-forward-100-years-of-british-summer-time

Amazing what stuff you learn while doing this isn't it?

Posted

• simonedi by simonedi moderator

hehe thats certainly an interesting little historical fact

Posted

• eatyourgreens by eatyourgreens moderator, admin

Wow, a blast from the past: I helped write that page about BST when I worked at Greenwich. 😃

Posted

• makfai by makfai

I also found the fact that the 24 hour clock was not used in these diaries was interesting. I believe it was the navy which was the first lot to adopt it.

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I am working on a diary and for the month of November, 1918 the 24 hour clock, has just started to be used.

Posted