War Diaries Talk

The Armistice

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

Having followed one Unit all the way from 1916 I got to the Armistice last night and I was struck by the matter of fact way in which it was described. One troop of the RE Squadron whose diary I have been tagging was detached at the time with a Cavalry Brigade and their Armistice was described simply as "at 1300, 3rd Troop who were with 9th Cav Bde were informed that hostilities had ceased at 1100 AM". And just like that over 4 years of war was over!

On the next line they go on to describe where they billeted for the night.

Anyone else got any Armistice Day entries to share? Be nice to tag then with #Armistice too so we can find them easily.

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

Well it's important to remember that an armistice is technically only a temporary cessation of hostilities. We know now that they did not restart, but then they might not have been so sure. Until the peace treaty was actually signed there was still the chance that they would be fighting again the next day. Compare the situation with that in Korea now, there's been an armistice since 1953(?), but still no peace treaty, and both sides anxiously monitor the demilitarised zone along the de facto border.

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

True enough I suppose but you'd think perhaps they might have been a tiny bit more excited. The entry was almost lost amongst lines of marching and billeting entries!

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

it seems to be fairly typical. Some units were in action only moments before the Armistice too.

Posted