War Diaries Talk

Sport and Leisure

• LancashireLass by LancashireLass

Found the following entry in the K.R.R.C. diary for 1918?

"Oct 14th to 20th
    During this week two Battalion Football matches were played; one against the 20th Battalion K.R.R.C. and the other against the 23rd Battalion Royal Fusiliers. Both were won.
    An excellent theatre was built where the 99th Brigade Novices Boxing Competition, Three Concerts and a Whist Drive were held.
    On the evening of the 19th the battalion was warned to be ready to move at two hours notice the next morning."

Are there any other examples of other sporting or leisure activities?

Posted

• simonedi by simonedi moderator

dozens actually, you might find some in "recent" if you back track into the older flagged pages, but ive had football matches, including with the germans, inter divisional rugby as well,

Posted

• spof by spof moderator

Sport was a good way of keeping up morale as well as maintaining fitness. I've also seen athletics days held too.

Posted

• marjorie_gehrhardt by marjorie_gehrhardt scientist

In hospitals and convalescent homes as well, sports and leisure activities played an important part, not only in entertaining the patients but also in helping them regain their fitness and dexterity. As for the front itself, I remember seeing a photo (of Tsingtao) described as showing British officers playing polo on a German recreation ground right after the latter surrendered! Maybe a way of celebrating?

Posted

• SarahtheEntwife by SarahtheEntwife

The unit I'm currently on just engaged in "aquatic sports", which I assume was in the nearby river but I have no idea what sort of water sports would have been common at the time. They also had a "regimental sports" day in which one unit won a (speed?) tent-pegging competition!

Posted

• ChrisKemp by ChrisKemp scientist

I'd be particularly interested in seeing the geographical location of various sporting activities particularly if they incorporated French or other nationalities. Pre-war large parts of France were divided up into those who enjoyed Rugby, or Football etc. If men from these parts of the country ended up alongside British men with a fondness for a particular sport as well it could well have resulted in inter-national games. There could well be a variety of sports that were both borught to, and learnt, in France over this period. Cricket resolutely refused to take off though.

Posted

• rsgrayson by rsgrayson scientist

Any evidence that anyone has found of attempts at cricket?

Posted

• itsmestephanie by itsmestephanie in response to rsgrayson's comment.

6 DIVISION: 2 Midland Infantry Brigade: 1/5 Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment Page 20
    2 DIVISION: 5 Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment (Pioneers) (1 Mar 1919 - 31 Oct 1919) P. 12

Posted

• rsgrayson by rsgrayson scientist

Belatedly - many thanks!

Posted