War Diaries Talk

348 Cheshire field Company Royal Engineers (in 3rd division) - name of C.O.writing diary Sept 1915

• brecon_beacons by brecon_beacons

How I have struggled with the diary writer's name!! It appears legible, but makes no sense when read.
    I have researched and now believe this to be Major John Wayne-Morgan (temporary)

• although I have logged several pages describing him as J. Wayne Holden, and cannot change it as there is no back button (!)
      If anyone knows different please let me know here, before I spoil any further pages.

(I know! John Wayne! 😃

Posted

• ianscrim by ianscrim

Wow Great find!!
    I to had spent some time staring at the signature and tried variations of. I am sure you are correct and as you say it is a shame not being able to go back and correct, also unless someone spots this posting, they will have to jump through the same hoops. Frustrating!
    I extracted the following from the London Gazette, could not find when he was awarded MC

7104 THE LONDON GAZETTE, 8 SEPTEMBER, 1914

Glamorgan (Fortress);
    John Wayne-Morgan to be Second Lieutenant. Dated 9th September, 1914

10682 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 14 DECEMBER, 1914

Electric Light Companies;
    The undermentioned Second Lieutenants
    to be Lieutenants: —
    John Wayne-Morgan. Dated 1st December,1914.

2254 THE LONDON GAZETTE, 5 MARCH, 1915

Glamorgan (Fortress) Engineers.
    Lieutenant John Wayne-Morgan to be
    Captain (temporary). Dated 6th March,1915.

8172 THE LONDON GAZETTE, 17 AUGUST, 1915.

Glamorgan (Fortress) Engineers; the undermentioned
    Officers are seconded: —
    Captain John Wayne-Morgan, for duty with the Cheshire Field Company. Dated 19th July, 1915.
    Lieutenant John Williams, for duty with the Cheshire Field Company. Dated 29th May, 1915

9730 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 2 OCTOBER, 1915.

Glamorgan (Fortress) Engineers.
    Captain John Wayne-Morgan to be temporary Major, and to remain seconded.Dated 22nd July, 1915.
    Lieutenant John Williams to be temporary Captain, and to remain seconded. Dated 29th May, 1915

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 17 JANUARY, 1917. 685
    TERRITORIAL FORCE
    ROYAL ENGINEERS.
    Capt. (temp. Maj.) John Wayne-Morgan,M.C., is restored to the estabt., and relinquisheshis temp, rank on alteration in posting. 5th Jan. 1917

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 22 JANUARY, 1917. 825
    ROYAL ENGINEERS.

The following announcement is substituted for that which appeared in the Gazette of 17th Jan. 1917: —
    Capt. (temp. Maj.) John Wayne-Morgan, M.C., is restored to the estbt. 5th Jan,1917,

Posted

• ianscrim by ianscrim

Another posting in the London Gazette hopefully the same person

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 11 JULY, 1922. 5207
    R.E.
    Maj. J. Wayne-Morgan, M.C., from 53rd Welsh Divl. Engrs., to be Maj. 12th July 1922,

Posted

• ianscrim by ianscrim

Military Cross presented by GOC on 25th June 1916. to Major John Wayne-Morgan.
    The Company marched from Leulinghem near St Omer to Moule (not Located)
    ref War Diary for
    3 DIVISION: 438 (Cheshire) Field Company Royal Engineers.
    I must have missed the action for which it was awarded (if any one sees it could they post it here please

Posted

• brecon_beacons by brecon_beacons

Well I am glad to be able to confirm that it is indeed John Wayne-Morgan - I have just finished a diary page for the same Company from 1916, and the diary writer names the Major and records a period of sick leave.

Thank you for everyone who followed this up! It brings history to life. I am happy to be able to tell you that I found this gentleman's obituary in the Engineer's Society - he lived until 1951, so lived out the Great War and the one after, and continued to be an engineer. Fantastic stuff.

Posted