War Diaries Talk

Ral, re interesting messages.

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

Talking about interesting messages, I read an article regarding the French. I was very surprised at what French Field Marshal Joffre said:

.. French Field Marshal Joffre ..."In no circumstances whatever will the expression 'shell-shock' be used verbally or be recorded in any regimental or other casualty report, or in any hospital or other medical document..." .

We actually have a tag for #shellshock which we use in the diaries. Field Marshal Joffre appears to have brushed shell shock under the carpet.

2 months ago I posted this in a The Mess Hall Board / First World War Jargon - WWI Immortal Wartime Quotes’ Link: http://www.invicta.viat.org.uk/284/wwi-immortal-wartime-quotes

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

So many things were discovered or significantly developed during the First World War, including of course an understanding of the psychological effects of warfare. But even during the war itself there wasn't a standard by which these things were judged. There were many progressive medical officers who worked to try and understand these psychological effects and their physical manifestations better, but there were also many who wouldn't have been too far removed from the position Marshal Joffre held, however ridiculous it might seem now. For quite a while, there was officially a difference between shell shock symptoms caused by an actual shell, which counted as a wound, and those which arose without the man in question having been under shellfire (regardless of what other things he had seen or experienced), which wasn't considered to be the same thing at all.

It's often quite shocking to read about the views of the time, which can differ so widely from what's taken as common knowledge nowadays.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

In 2013 and 2014 there was a double exhibition in Ypres and Ghent "War and Trauma". And there was also a book http://www.inflandersfields.be/en/war-and-trauma

Posted

If you can be dispassionate about it, it's very interesting to look at how the understanding of non-physical injury developed during the war. Did you see the exhibition, Erik?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

The Flanders Fields Museum

A link showing Articles and Photographs concerning the Museum.
    ‘A unique souvenir. To increase the experience even more, every visitor receives a personal ‘poppy’ bracelet on arrival. The microchip in the bracelet automatically sets the language choice and enables the visitor to discover 4 personal stories throughout the permanent exhibition’.

My husband visited the Museum and brought back a ‘poppy’ bracelet. You could easily spend a couple of hours or more, going round the Museum, with a nice Cafe at the end of it!
    Museum Link: http://www.inflandersfields.be/en/practical/visit

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to ral104's comment.

Yes I visited them both in Ghent and Ypres. Saw some horrific footage of soldiers having tics and making strange movements. Those men were like guinea pigs. No exhibits that makes one happy, it makes one feel rather uncomfortable.

Posted

It also makes you realise just how much the war impacted peoples' lives after it had ended. I always wonder what it was like for men who had lived through that to see their sons and daughters getting caught up in WW2.

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

It was the start of research that has now lead to our recognition of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, a condition that effects not just soldiers in combat but anyone who has been through one of many types of trauma.

Posted