War Diaries Talk

HURLEY

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Wikipedia calls the game hurling and the wooden stick that is used a hurley

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Was there a mention of hurling in the diary you're working on? I saw in the Wikipedia article that it is an Irish game. Are you still working on the 6th Connaught Rangers?

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

Still working on the 6 Connaught Rangers. The diary mentions "a game of hurley". Image AWD0003h2c

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Have you ever seen hurling played? It's very fast-paced and physical.

Although I've only heard it called hurling, I've heard people refer to hurley sticks, so I'd guess the game itself might also be referred to as hurley from time to time.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to ral104's comment.

I don't know the game. Looks like a combination of hockey and rugby? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE

Posted

There's a part of American football that involves kicking the ball over a crossbar like the one shown in the YouTube link, except I think the American one is higher.

I can't imagine how they can play hurling without helmets. I saw some players without them.

Posted

They have to wear helmets now, but it's a relatively recent rule.

Posted

I just went to look up shinty, a Scottish game that is similar. I watched a couple of videos, and it looks like the main difference is that in shinty no one ever catches or carries the ball in their hand.

But there was also this article http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/historian-hails-legendary-shinty-team-9051463 just posted in the last day or so, about the men from a shinty club in Kingussie who went to fight in World War I. The article includes a photo of a letter written from the front thanking someone back home who had shipped shinty sticks to the men.

Posted

Nice find!

Posted

• David_Underdown by David_Underdown moderator

I believe there's a special set of rules that's sued to allow shinty teams to play against hurling teams as well!

Posted

I didn't know that - must be quite an interesting rivalry!

Posted