War Diaries Talk

Trench stores

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

How do I depict myself a trench store?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

I'm not entirely sure of what you are asking, but I think you want to know what is meant by trench stores. Am I correct?

Trench stores were items that remained in the trench when a new unit came in to relieve the old one. These might be things like bombs, grenades, or wire that had yet to go out in front of the trench. Other items belonged to the unit itself and so would be taken out by the men.

Sometimes the particular items included in trench stores changed according to the particular situation. Lists were made for keeping accountability; presumably the unit going out should be able to account for all trench stores used by that unit during their tour in the trench.

I hope this helps.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to cyngast's comment.

Were all those things kept in a dugout are in somekind of shelter or just outdoors?

Posted

In Royal Engineers diaries, you often see that the men were building bomb stores or ammunition stores, so that implies a dugout or cover of some kind. Here's a photo from the Imperial War Museum collection of British soldiers drawing bombs from a store in a reserve trench: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205237928

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

A lot would have depended on the nature of the trench itself, of course, but as in the photo Cynthia linked to, there would have been considerable effort made to keep ammunition protected from anything which might have detonated it. The results would have been catastrophic.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

A Trench Store List in the diary of the 10th Royal inniskilling Fusiliers. Image AWD0003fz2 Found it very interesting.

Posted

What a great find! Thanks for sharing it!

Posted