War Diaries Talk

Passing through

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be

Image AWD000373c Why does the author of this diary mention "people" passing through? Those people being on this page 1off + 80 men E.Lancs, 1 R.C. Chaplain, 4 offrs. 10 Lancs Fus. And what does he mean by passing through?

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I would imagine it is the British Armies passing through and taking up defensive positions to hold up the advance of the German Army.

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

Yes, I think it will simply be these units moving through wherever the divisional train is at that point in time.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to ral104's comment.

On the next page (Image AWD000376d) the author mentions reinforcements being 59 Somersets, 267 Hants, 95 Lancs, 28 men VI Siege Batty, 19 men RAMC and 5 men AVC. Could it be that those passing troops on the previous page, were also reinforcements?

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

It seems likely that they were reinforcements, given that the numbers of men are too small to be entire units.

Posted

I think the second page is talking about reinforcements joining the divisional train, i.e. men sent to help with their work. The other men, the ones who were 'passing through' could be units taking up new positions/reinforcements for other units/men going back behind the lines...it's not really possible to say. However, what does seem clear is that they weren't joining the divisional train, but just moved through their position.

Posted

• erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be by erik.schaubroeckscarlet.be in response to ral104's comment.

Were these 'helping' reinforcements also incorporated in the ASC or did they stay member of their original regiment?

Posted

I would assume they were working parties, probably sent to help haul ammunition around or something similar. If that's the case, it would have been a short-term attachment and the men would have returned to their unit once the work was done.

Posted