War Diaries Talk

Water Supply R.A.R.E.

• LinsladeLad by LinsladeLad

see the entry for 17/9/16. I've come across this a number of times in this diary - but I'm at a loss to understand what it means.

I initially thought it might be a reference to Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers, but I've not come across anything to support that.

Has anyone else come across this before? Any thoughts as to the meaning?

Regards Peter

Posted

• marie.eklidvirginmedia.com by marie.eklidvirginmedia.com

I think these are two separate units: Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers. A Very Good List of WW1 Abbreviations on following link:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/records/abbreviations-in-world-war-one-medal-index-cards-unit.pdf

To access highlight - right click - go to.

Posted

• LinsladeLad by LinsladeLad

My initial thoughts were the same as yours Marie. Then I wondered why it wasn't written as R.A./R.E. or R.A. & R.E? Then I wondered why the R.E. would only be responsible for water supply to themselves and R.A., but not to other units in the same area? Which led to wondering if the initials meant something else entirely.

I like simple solutions, and would be happy with our initial thoughts, but thought it worth asking the question.

Regards Peter

Posted

I read this in a google link: The RE's maintained the railways, roads, water supply, bridges and transport. Then I came across another link in Google saying “Images for Royal Artillery Royal Engineers WW1”

Posted

• cyngast by cyngast moderator

Were there Royal Engineers companies that were connected to the Royal Artillery units only? In other words, that worked only with Royal Artillery units?

Posted

• ral104 by ral104 moderator, scientist

I'm afraid I don't have much to add to this, other than that I think Peter's suspicion that it might something other than 'Royal Artillery Royal Engineers' might be correct. I wonder whether it's shorthand for a detached section of the unit?

Posted

• HeatherC by HeatherC moderator

The only possible explanation I have found is the Royal Anglesey Royal Engineers, a special reserve unit who did have several RE companies in France.

Does the abbreviation occur in connection with anything other than the water supply?

Posted

Ah! Great suggestion, Heather. I wonder whether they were attached to 226 Field Coy. I can't find anything with a quick search, but perhaps somebody else might know.

Posted

• 141Dial34 by 141Dial34

you are right Ral.I just did the 226 coy & RARE was in it.Within the last 200 odd pages which would probably be 1916 as the diary went backwards sometimes.

Posted

Thanks - I guess the question is whether this RARE is the Royal Anglesey RE or not. If only we could find a longhand reference to them!

Posted

The Royal Anglesey Royal Engineers during WW1 a section for 1916 - Part of a section for them on link:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/world-war-i-royal-anglesey-6843277

"In February 1916, after a period of strengthening and building new defences to the north and south of Ypres, the company moved to the Colincamps and Hebuterne areas of the Somme. Here they were to dig new and deepen existing wells, and to construct water pumping stations for the forthcoming offensive. On July 1 1916 the British attacked but by the evening with over 60,000 casualties it was clearly a failure. On this day No 2 Siege had been in reserve with orders to lay water pipes from the pumping stations into the captured German trenches should the attack prove successful. Thereafter the company was employed in constructing machine gun posts, artillery observation posts, road repair, etc. In December 1916 they moved to Doullens to construct hutted camps, Casualty Clearing Stations".

Posted

Thanks, Marie. Certainly a clear link to them establishing water supplies there.

Posted