Possible #story for #dailyzoo – Report of Awful Conditions, Several Days after the Armistice-by 6th Division: 2 Brigade Royal Field Artillery.
On page 909 - http://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/subjects/AWD0002ox0 Just some of the conditions described:-
- Destitute and starving soldiers and almost starving soldiers of all nationalities of escaped prisoners of war.
- Stories of desperate conditions of life.
- Not much evidence of German retreat other than over-turned lorries and automobiles stripped of their engines etc.
- The cattle and all livestock had all been driven out of France completely but not Belgium.
- The Anti-German feeling in Belgium got more noticeable as we moved Eastwards into the Walloon country. (The 2 Brigade Royal
by ral104 moderator, scientist
Thanks, Marie. It's fascinating to get a sense of the situation in the immediate aftermath of the armistice. And very interesting to see POWs mentioned - we don't see much of them beyond notice of their initial capture.
by DZM admin
Wow, outrageous. Great find. Thank you!!